3 weeks post 1500 FUT procedure and starting to worry

ok. i am only 3 weeks post op and i'm starting to freak out. I underwent the FUT procedure (with 1500 grafts) to fill in the frontal corners that were receding. I am worried about shedding hair since i keep reading about people loosing hair about a month after the procedure.

I have to go back to work by Monday which will be exactly the 1 month mark. i can't wear hats at work...!!!

what advice can people give me. right now i am mainly worried about the donor area. I don't want the line to be too noticeable. i think i have enough hair to cover the front (assuming i don't shed much more hair).

help... :(

i dont have any pics right now but i will update soon. thanks

Dermmatch or Toppik depending on the length of your hair.....I'll be honest though....3 weeks post op is hard to hide but not impossible

This can mask the scar but be careful as it'll be pretty sensitive.

My experience was that people didn't know I had a HT just saw a scar.....it could be anything and most people probably don't want to ask.

One guy in the office knew and that was only cus he was thinking of a HT and became a confidant.

You'll be fine dude and think of the new hair coming through in 6-9 months time!

thanks for the comment Johnny. I keep telling myself it's going to get better, but i keep worrying. haha

I will look into Toppik to be prepared for any further shedding

Yeah i guess 3 weeks is quite early huh. it feels like its been forever though . im just glad i had a month off from work to do this. now i just have to figure out how to hide it to make my appearance next week.

thanks again.

Unfortunately it's likely that you'll lose more of the transplanted hairs. That's the usual way things happen. Of course they'll begin growing in after a few months. That's the price that you have to pay for your new hair, and when the growth happens patients soon forget the bad times and also find that other people have short memories too.

How much and what exactly can you see of the donor scar?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

hi mattj. yeah i prepared myself for losing the transplanted hairs i just wasn't/am not ready to loose much of my old air. i really hope i don't shed much.

right now you can only see the difference in hair length from top and bottom of scar. i was hoping this wouldn't be to obvious but my hair is so straight any cut is noticeable. lol. and i think i can see some redness on the sides. i will take pictures and post them soon.

thanks again

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I recently made a "what got you through the "ugly duckling phase of a HT?" post with a lot of these concerns (I'm at about 1 1/2 months now). I've just been taking it day by day and trying not to obsess over shedding - the mirror hasn't been my best friend for a long time now, but never more so than currently! I just tell myself that I've already done all the hard work (getting a doctor, going through the HT procedure, the initial post-op recovery) and from here on out there's nothing I can do to change the outcome anyway. :)

I will say that a short (but not TOO short, especially with scarring) haircut and toppik has helped me quite a bit. Since a lot of people cut their hair shorter for the summer months, the timing of my HT has worked in my favor at deferring a lot of the "why did you change your hair?" questioning.