Shedding or Rapid hair loss due to medications.

I have always had a really receded hairline. However, over the last year I noticed thinning on the top of my head. I began taking propecia at the end of december and I started using minoxidil 5% twice a day and now the thinning looks like a huge bald spot. I can deal with a receded hairline but the thinning on the top of the head is starting to get at me. I am considering getting a ht but I am going to wait and see what happens with the two FDA approved medications. I can still pull the ladies at this point:) but more loss will be hard for me to keep my confidence.

Please review the pictures. The first two were taken a month apart and the other are for general comments. Any advice would be appreciated.

5b32cc2653ffc_Photo282.jpg.9ead4ef407624516d269a73e2de8b943.jpg

5b32cc266c67c_Photo309.jpg.37cb93ed434e751d5b362a588834cb0d.jpg

5b32cc26871e4_Photo306.jpg.ebd58495c0ff68dc5cb6377deb4a8262.jpg

5b32cc26a1d5c_Photo305.jpg.a6753b8aa9cfc81f4d111954a9648397.jpg

5b32cc26b9879_Photo297.jpg.11c87d21da9940ac93410269e5c43d1b.jpg

5b32cc26c788a_Photo275.jpg.e205ecb51f86c64c43ca34ba354dab2f.jpg

5b32cc26d3cb5_Photo273.jpg.9a4c33454e268598d3628cddd743f697.jpg

Well, you have 2 things to consider. First off, the two pics taken a month apart are not in the same conditions. The first one was taken with flash. Flash will make improve the appearance of your hair. The second one without flash is more of an "honest" picture. So with that in mind, you probably have not seen near as much loss as the pics show.

Second, have you experience a shed yet? If you have not, you may. What is hapenning here is that the medication you hare using will "kick" the old hairs out to make room for newer healther hairs. So as the old saying goes, it could get better before it gets worse. They say that you should wait one year before deciding if the medications are working for you.

With that in mind....don't give up too early. Propecia at least halts hairloss (studies were done for 5 years) in about 90 percent of men.

Also, can you add your age to the next reply to this thread? Thanks.

BTW, I have seen fin work on the tops of heads very well, but don't expect much in the hairline area.

Also, study the medication threads on this forum to learm more. i.e. Proscar and generic finasteride are the same medication and you can quarter a generic fin 5mg from Walmart and get about 4 months for $9 without insurance. (Just added that since you stated that you were on propecia),

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

kaliber,

Spanker is right on target with regards to shedding. Starting medical hair loss treatments will often lead to shedding. You'll need to continue using finasteride and minoxidil for up to six months before evaluating your experience. Some would say a year is even better.

It's a shame that your physician won't prescribe generic Proscar. The savings are substantial over Propecia. It may be worth finding another doctor.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I think I am experiencing a shed because I've goten really thin on top in the last month since I started taking medications. I heard if you shed you are having a strong reaction to the medications which is a very good thing in the long run.

Plus, I notice hairs on my hand when I shampoo or scratch the top of my head. As I stated before, I will take these medications for a year before I consider hair transplant surgery and I'm well aware these medications will probably not help with the hairline. I can rock the high hairline though so I'm not worried about it. I just don't want lose anything on top.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm not a guy but I can sympathise. My son who is in his mid thirties, used to have thick luxuriant hair but in his twenties, his hairline began to recede into an M shape. He was very conscious about it.

Now he is on Propeicia and his hair has stopped dropping. I can see that when I visit him. The tablets are very expensive but he's happy that his hairfall has been somewhat arrested and his hair condition is maintaining. He's been taking it for almost 2 years now.

Before that, he used to visit hair treatment salons but that didn't show results.

Just wanted to share with you.