number of hairs form strip breakdown

HI

Due to have surgery with Dr Hasson begining of next month 4000 grafts predicted. Couple of questions:

1) In anyones experience is the predicted number of grafts given through online consultations and pictures pretty much accurate ? What has been your experience?

2) Regarding the number of 1,2,3 and 4 hairs breakdowns does this depend on your hair texture and how much you have etc? ( i am a diffuse thinner ) is there a common link to what yield people have regarding these numbers?

Thankyou.

UK patient,

1. It's my understanding that while graft estimates are fairly accurate (these experienced hair transplant surgeons have been predicting follicular unit graft numbers for many years), they are estimates (meaning it's not guaranteed). I'd say that face-to-face consultations would like give a slightly more accurate estimate, but the operating surgeon wouldn't give an estimate he/she wasn't comfortable with (in an online consultation) and any discrepancies should be handled without issue. In fact, if it makes you more comfortable, you many consider contacting the specific clinic and asking about their policy regarding grafts numbers differing from estimated numbers.

2. I can't really think of any reason why the numbers of 1,2-3, and 4 follicular units wouldn't decline equally in the case of standard hair loss (in a diffuse thinning patient), but I do know that most individuals have a higher proportion of 2-3 hair follicular unit grafts (compared to 1 and 4), so it's possible that these would be lost in greater numbers, but I'm unsure if this means, proportionally, that less 2-3 hair grafts are left. My guess is that your strip (assuming the hair transplant surgeon thinks surgical hair restoration is an appropriate option) will still show a higher number of 2-3 hair follicular grafts compared to 1 and 4, and I don't think it has much to do with hair texture.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

UK patient,

1. It's my understanding that while graft estimates are fairly accurate (these experienced hair transplant surgeons have been predicting follicular unit graft numbers for many years), they are estimates (meaning it's not guaranteed). I'd say that face-to-face consultations would like give a slightly more accurate estimate, but the operating surgeon wouldn't give an estimate he/she wasn't comfortable with (in an online consultation) and any discrepancies should be handled without issue. In fact, if it makes you more comfortable, you many consider contacting the specific clinic and asking about their policy regarding grafts numbers differing from estimated numbers.

2. I can't really think of any reason why the numbers of 1,2-3, and 4 follicular units wouldn't decline equally in the case of standard hair loss (in a diffuse thinning patient), but I do know that most individuals have a higher proportion of 2-3 hair follicular unit grafts (compared to 1 and 4), so it's possible that these would be lost in greater numbers, but I'm unsure if this means, proportionally, that less 2-3 hair grafts are left. My guess is that your strip (assuming the hair transplant surgeon thinks surgical hair restoration is an appropriate option) will still show a higher number of 2-3 hair follicular grafts compared to 1 and 4, and I don't think it has much to do with hair texture.

thankyou for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the catch is simple and easy. Make sure when you get a HT not to allow for so many singles (1s) as the price will go up as it will end up with higher grafts and more money to pay. singles should only go the first rows in the front others should be double. cause what you have to understand, single grafts and double grafts are same price. but different effect and fullness of course. Thats why sometimes you will find a person with 2200 grafts has the same look and denisty of a 3500 grafts and thats basically because that clinic splited his grafts from 2s to 1s, which ended up the patient to pay more. So according to what i learnt from the forum, make sure you get 2s more than 1s unless you above NW4 and need so much coverage, then using 1s more important cause you need more distrubtion of hairs along your balding scalp.

Thats why so very few clinics if i recall not famous, market themselves that they charge per hair not grafts.. Thats why its very important to every clinic to give the breakdown of the grafts to every patient.

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]