touch ups/mini session

I had a HT about a year ago, I had a great Doctor! He did an awesome job, it's just I don't think I achieved good density around the hairline though, one side in particular... I think I might need a touch up or a mini session. What exactly does this entail?

I'm going in to see my doc right after the new year.

A second procedure or touch up, would be the same procedure as last time, only it may be a bit smaller in size. If you opt to have the FUT surgery again, the surgeon would reopen your old scar, thus still leaving you with one scar once it heals. This should feel a lot easier this time around as you know what to expect, but overall it would be pretty much the same.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Most doctors will most likely charge you for a touch up, unless you and they feel that the results were poor and therefore fix it on their expense. But just because you need extra grafts does not mean the results were poor, sometimes it's simply necessary to get more work done as there are limits to how many grafts can be placed at one time due to blood flow, shock etc. Best to talk to you doctor to see what he/she feels.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Doctors have different definitions of touch ups. I would consider a touch up if I was only adding a few grafts ( 100-200 ) to a area that I transplanted prior and it appears that the grafts did not grow. If the patient wants increased density and also has one area that did not get as good as a result as the other areas I will charge for the second procedure and give them a few hundred free grafts.

This was my second HT, and I shudder at the thought of doing it a third time. LOL. But again, my doc is top notch so I'm psyched to have him.

The area I would need touched up is the hair line itself, but just pretty much on my left side, probably the size of 2-3 postage stamps. That said, more density never killed anyone, but I've always had fine hair, so I think I can only take the density thing so far. I just want to not have that wispy look, and it would be great to not see scalp in the light.

I was thinking, if I do need a touch up, hopefully a mini, I wanted to use a few extra grafts to just fill in part of the strip scar. Would that be advisable?

• 1 year later...

This question is directed to Dr. Glen Charles. I am in a situation where I have had relatively poor growth in a recent transplant. I have met with my doctor and she offered a touch up of 100 grafts FUE. In your experience, do you find that 100 grafts are enough or is it better to go with something a little more to fix a poor transplant yield. I have pics in other posts if you care to see my current situation.

Thank you in advance for your input.