Bad HT. How do I fix this?

So I've been on here before but I keep losing my account details.

I've finally given up on it all. 1000 FUE, scarred up head and poor results at 1 year. All I have to show for it now is increased thinning, red/itchy/scaly skin in the recipient area, and lots of pitting.

I want to shave it all off soon but the pitting is pretty nasty, I was afraid to look for the longest time. Its been a year actually but now that I've thinned out enough I can clearly see what is going on. I still have a lot of native hair but my time is running out fast.

I'm in a really bad spot right now. I can't eat, sleep or concentrate properly. I'm a shell of the person I once was even one year ago. I should have never gone through with this... every time I look in the mirror its like a bad dream.

I feel like I'm hiding who I really am and I desperately want to let it go and be what I should have been... bald. Now I don't even have that.

I'm in Toronto and think I need to see a dermatologist but I don't know the first thing about the process. I've read so many things about dermabrasion, fraxel laser, punching out the grafts, etc. But I'm not sure where to start.

Ultimately I just want to lose the grafts, get my recipient scalp back to normal and shave down with a razor. Is there anyone out there that can help?

The red/itchy/scaly skin is probably due to SD (seborrhoeic dermatitis).

Shampoos like Polytar AF or Dr. Lee's Regrowth Shampoo etc. may help in treating this part.

Probably best to see a dermatologist.

Hopefully the experienced guys here can give you some advice on what to do for the pitting.

Hang in there!

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Excuse my ignorance but after a year, doesn't your donor area grow back significantly enough to cover any skin issues?

Can you post pics?

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

The donor is totally healed but white FUE scars are still apparent.

Unfortunately either way I can't really get a pic that really shows my issues well.

My native hair also helps to mask things.

The recipient area is where all the pitting is. This is the worst part since its so visible. I would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a dermatologist to me.

CHB88,

I don't know of any dermatologists to recommend but why not contact one of our pre-screened hair restoration physicians in Ontario? I'm sure that they will not only be able to give you advice regarding your options but they probably know who the best dermatologists are in the area.

Dr. H. Rahal Ontario Canada Coalition Member

Dr. Marla Rosenberg Ontario Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons Ontario Canada Coalition Member

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Chb88,

I'm very sorry to hear about your negative experience. This must be extremely difficult for you, and I'm pleased you found our community and have begun asking proactive questions. I think the first thing you should decide is what you would like the final outcome to entail? Would you like to simply try something to cover up the follicular unit extraction (FUE) scars in the donor area? Would you like a repair procedure and more follicular units transplanted to the balding areas?

Personally, I recommend two things: first, reviewing our recommended hair restoration physicians, researching on the discussion forums, and figuring out exactly what type of repair you want. If you're looking to simply have the prior FUE grafts removed and possibly some work to cover scars in the donor areas, this is definitely a possibility. However, you may find after some research that you'd like to go a different direction and possibly repair the unacceptable work instead of simply having the grafts removed.

Second, I would look into utilizing some preventive measures like Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride). These will help stabilize any progressive hair loss and allow you to make a decision that isn't based on an uncontrollable timeline (like you alluded to in your first post).

Additionally, providing some photographs may help the community offer more accurate and helpful advice. Let me know if you need any help adding images to a patient weblog or your social profile. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions, concerns, worries, etc.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

All I want right now is to shave down and look normal. If possible I want to have these grafts removed but I am so afraid of going back to any HT doctor right now. I don't want any more scars anywhere. I went to Dr. Jones and I know he can't help. I should have known from the start.

I'll try to put up some photos but its hard since I can't quite capture the reality of the situation right now. Its really hard to find the angle.

I've been using Denorex and Nizoral and it helped with the skin initially but its effectiveness has been wearing off seemingly.

I've been on finasteride for a year but it isn't doing anything for me which is why I'm panicking. I'm so tired of all this, I just want to be normal again. No more HTs, no more thinking about hair 24/7.

Edited by CHB88

That sucks. You contacted Dr. Jones after you realized you were unhappy with your results? You just didn't get any kind of help?

If this is the Dr. Jones from Toronto, that's pretty surprising to me. I thought he was one of the early pioneers of FUE in N. America although he's not recommended here, I figured at least that he'd be very competent when performing the procedure.

Can you get some pics posted of the donor area and the red recipient area? Have you considered microneedling?

Yes that's him and I'm not going to be unfair, I've seen him for a follow up a few months ago but I didn't really notice the pitting until recently. He wasn't particularly concerned about my symptoms at the time and I was going to let things grow out a bit more first.

I didn't have a great first impression of him to start but I didn't realize what I was in for.

I've considered microneedling but I'm pretty worried about infection considering I already have plenty of bad skin. If I do have seborrhoeic dermatitis then would that worsen it? Is there particular recommendation for needle length? I don't really know that much about it.

I've heard dermabrasion works well. Luckily it works best for fair skin which but that would mean suffering through more redness. Is there an average healing time for dermabrasion procedures? Will it really fix pitting? Is it possible to form ingrown hairs from this?

I'll definitely update with pics later but its strange that I can only see pitting from certain angles. Maybe it really isn't that bad or perhaps my scalp might be getting slightly inflammed making it more prominent. Of course its also hard to see with so much native hair in the way.

My dandruff has gone way down since starting extra strength denorex but there is definitely still some there, and it hasn't helped with my scaly skin yet.

Perhaps a combo of microneedling, gentle dermabrasion and eventually removing the grafts is the eventual route. I'm very hesitant against more surgery though. I keep getting the impression that removing grafts from the recipient leaves less scarring than FUE from the donor. Suturing is also recommended but I'm not sure how this is possible with a wound so small.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

• 2 weeks later...

So I've done a bit more research and I think laser/electrolysis + fraxel/Active FX + Vbeam might be the best way for me to go.

Hopefully I can target the grafted hairs to kill and then use laser resurfacing to smooth out the texture. Not sure if I need something like Vbeam to even out color since I do tend to get red, but I think this may be due to irritation as my recipient scalp is still kind of sore, scaly and flaky since the HT.

Can anyone offer advice on combining these treatments? I will probably be calling a dermatologist tomorrow to get some more info.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

dude im doing the same, im going to a dermatologist tomorrow to start the fraxel process, the damage on my scalp isnt to bad, and if fraxel can remove acne scares the sure as hell it can remove the head damage which is small in comparison. fraxel gives the colour back to your scalp and smooths the scalp again, a good suntan should help to. luckily south africa is sun tan capital. as for the ht scar fraxel will flatten it and make it smooth but it wont vanish it will still be visible but not extreme, i had a car accident and had bad scars , alot of sun tanning and scar tissue is virtually invisible, so im thinking fraxel and sun once im healed should work wonders, or atleast make the damage virtually invisible. grow a short beard to, makes the face seem more in proportion when going for bald look. i look like an mma fighter now, woman love the beat em up look, hence ill keep my scar as it ads character, luckily mine is just the right side of my head not ear to ear.

electrolysis and fraxel is the way to go, i to dont wanna do anything that can cause more scars, hence fraxel lazer is the best, others are known to cause more scars if the lazer goes to deep. fraxel doesnt go deep enough to cause scarring, thats why you will probably have to go for 2 to 3 sessions, acne scars are removed in 5 sessions, just make sure you go to a proper dermatologist not a spa that others lazer, someone that doesnt know how to work it can leave you with a red scalp for life, i mean we paid so much for HTs so if i have to fork out alot to get fraxel done properly then so be it, good thing is fraxel by a pro will cost less that another ht and another ht and another lol lol GOODBYE HAIR im FREE!!!

and in my opinion go to a drmatologist that doesnt offer HT's dont go to another HT doc either, cos im sure the advice you get will be, dont stress lets just repair it or add more grafts etc etc, the last thing i want is more scars from trying to repair etc etc quit while im ahead haha a...head lol , i went to an ht doc and all they wanted to do was not help but cut cut cut and more more more, like im going to fall for that, you get a few lucky people then you get us lol and eventually there aint going to be hair to add anymore then you going to have hair in the front and nothing at the crown, if only people only viewed you from the front then that would be ok , unfortunately people are able to view you 180 degress, no use chatting up a girl and looking good from the front, but when u go to the bar to get her a drink and turn around shes gone!!! lol

and in my opinion go to a drmatologist that doesnt offer HT's dont go to another HT doc either, cos im sure the advice you get will be, dont stress lets just repair it or add more grafts etc etc, the last thing i want is more scars from trying to repair etc etc quit while im ahead haha a...head lol , i went to an ht doc and all they wanted to do was not help but cut cut cut and more more more,

Yikes.

This is absolutely awful... how can these people sleep and feel good knowing that've damaged someone because they not are properly trained?

I could careless if I made someone sign an agreement prior to surgery.

A signature approval =/= mental scarring and emotional distress for life

I agree that fraxel seems to be the way to go but I'm going to be a lot more careful this time around and I'm gonna wait on this a bit to be sure. I'm not ready to say its the definite answer since I haven't heard many first hand accounts or seen pics of final results. I've read through the other forums as well but it seems the guys who fixed themselves up have moved on.

I would guess that my head would be a reddish for much longer than usual considering what I went through with the original HT.

Also, be careful of tanning after fraxel. You actually aren't supposed to expose yourself to sunlight for 6 months or you can risk hyper or hypo pigmentation of the treated skin.

If possible I would ideally want to target only the HT hair and then buzz down to a #1 or less to start. Hopefully my skin will look normal enough to razor. I'm getting a bit more self conscious about the donor scars though. I think the final release of doing it will alleviate all the tension and worry but I'm still very hesitant.

Does anyone here have firsthand info?