Facial Hair transplant questions

So a few things. My beard 'line' on one side of my face sorta dips down. Its not super noticeable but naturally, it bothers me enough to consider a hair transplant. If I had to guess it would be under 100 hairs. I also had some surgery on my neck awhile back and it left a scar/no hair just under my chin. Both of these areas Im looking to put some hair back. That leads me to my questions

-Im worried about scarring on my face with the transplant. I dont always have my beard grown out, so will I see any sort of scar or mark where the folicle was transplanted?

-Im assumed between the two methods of extraction it will make no difference on what Im trying to accomplish in terms of end result?

-Regarding my chin area, since it was a scar, even if hair is transplanted, will/can it grow after the fact?

Lastly, Im in south FL and trying to find a good doctor. Ive read some great things about some docs in Canada and NJ, which if it came down to, I would fly there. However I know there is a Dr Epstein local which has pictures of facial transplants that *look* promising. His pricing, last I spoke with them, seemed higher than most, but its only 20miles from me. Not sure if anyone has experience with him and can speak about it. Also this is a tad different than most on the boards so its for facial transplant so Id def want someone who can do this with zero/minimal effect to my face.

Thanks all for your help!

Hello Roach,

Since you're open to travelling (which is wise when it comes to transplants) I thought I'd show you some results. Beard transplants are relatively uncommon compared to scalp, but the results can be very good.

The method of extraction should make no difference. As for your surgical scar, grafts are often planted successfully into scar tissue, but there is a slightly reduced success rate with regard to growth. This does depend a lot on the individual and the characteristics of the scar. Hopefully, being the result of professional work, your scar is quite fine and has abundant blood supply and there will be no issues with it.

before02.jpg

before01.jpg

impost02.jpg

impost01.jpg

5DaysOut-RightSide.jpg

5DaysOut-LeftSide.jpg

5DaysOut-Front.jpg

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Ill try to get some pics tonight or tomorrow but im looking for pretty much exactly what you have for my beard, only its just a portion that is maybe the size of my thumbprint, where it sorta dips down. My beard area isnt scarred though. The scaring is under my chin and the size of hairless portion is approx the same (thumbprint).

I think your pics came out great, how does it look when shaved? I guess I want/hope a shaven look to look just as 'normal' as pre transplant. I dont have my hair grown out all the time, but I do sport the scruff look

Lastly, are these pics from work with Dr Rahal?

Hi, yes these pics are of Dr Rahal's work. Obviously the patient needed a much larger area covered than you will.

I know it would be especially worrying to have work done on your face, but I don't believe there is any issue with scarring at the recipient zone. Some doctors, after all, take beard hair via FUE extraction to use on the scalp, and even FUE is more invasive than the small incisions made for the implantation of grafts.

Roach,

I think the method of extraction does make a difference in a small case such as yours. Since the recipient area you want filled in is relatively small requiring the 100 grafts you mentioned, you may want to consider FUE versus strip to harvest the grafts you will need. Providing you have thick facial growth, you may also want to consider having the donor be extracted from under your chin for several reasons.

First, the recipient area will potentially look the most natural grown out if the donor grafts also come from the face. It's the same hair. A smaller punch (.50mm) would potentially be used so there should not be much visibility of scarring under your chin after the extractions completely heal.

Second, you may not want a small strip scar in the back of your head to get the grafts you need for your face. Should you ever want to shave your scalp one day, it may be worth taking the 100 garfts from your facial area by FUE as I previously mentioned.

Now, if you should have MPB and think you one day might need coverage on top of your scalp, you might want to wait and have everything done togethor. You may also want to discuss your situation with several docs who are talented in both strip and FUE and who also may have done some facial restoration.

Either way, I wish you the best Roach in your research and finding the right resolve.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Oh, definitely; you would want to go with FUE for this. The higher cost won't be as much of an issue with such a small procedure and I can't imagine having a strip procedure for a hundred or so grafts.