Has there been any instances where FUE into a strip scar failed to grow?

uselessgomez

I'm still in the exploration stage of getting a HT. Like most young guys with a virgin scalp, I'm not really keen on having a strip scar, despite a lot of the improvements such as tricho closures, etc.

I'm told that I may need grafts north of 1,000, which makes strip a much more practical route to go and much less risky in terms of poor yield & transection.

The idea that you can have FUE grafts implanted into a strip scar to make it less noticeable intrigues me. But it seems like it has to have some degree of risk involved because scar tissue seems like it would have less vascularity and less a likelihood of the grafts surviving.

If it were possible to get a better-looking donor area going the strip route with a tricho closure and having some grafts FUE'd over the scar to make it less noticeable, I would probably opt for that route.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Uselessgomez,

I definitely think you should review this plan with your hair transplant surgeon. I think he/she will be able to tell you how realistic performing follicular unit transplantation (FUT) with the intent to fill the resulting scar with grafts removed via follicular unit extraction (FUE) can be. However, with regard to your original question, yes, it is possible for FUE into a strip scar to fail. Thick scar tissue essentially lacks proper blood supply, and if the grafts can't receive essentials via the blood, they will wither and die. There is a chance that the scar tissue is thick enough to make this happen.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.