transplanted hairs falling out at 4 months - HT failed??

Hey guys,

I'm 19 years old and I've been suffering from hair loss for about 5 years now. My hair loss is diffused, covering the whole top of my head. I've had one hair transplant of 2000 grafts (FUT) four months ago and I may have another one this coming summer.

The procedure went ok, although the doctor himself was unprofessional and seemed not to care at all! Anyways .. I experienced the regular shedding of the transplanted hairs within the first month, and for the next three months a a few thin, fine hairs started growing. Also about half the native hair of the transplanted area has fallen (shock hair loss). Now, just over four months, I'm starting to think that my HT has failed. I say this because the small, thin hairs that have grown are starting to fall off whenever I shower or when I touch my hair (without applying direct water or force onto the area).

This is really worrying me!

Is it normal? And does this mean that no hair will grow in place of those that had fallen off?

Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

hi there! first q, who is your doc ? At 19 yrs old, thats really young for a HT patient. Did u actually discuss in depth with your doc as to how to plan your battle against hair loss? You have a long way to go before your hair loss pattern is fixed and i thought most docs would rejecting operating on a 19yr old but not having to know your condition, i cannot comment much.

At 4 months, its the time whereby your shock loss hair recover and HT hair thicken. Its unusual to hear of shedding of HT hair at 4months IMHO. Did u discuss with your doc over your concern?

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hey wb280,

I had my HT in Bahrain by Dr. Tahsin, I'm pretty sure that many here haven't heard of him, especially since he's not one of the recommended doctors on this site. Since having my HT I haven't been in contact with my doc as I'm in Canada now.

Yes, the doc and I had talked about it. At first he I tried certain supplements for 6 months, and then propecia and minoxidil for a year with no success, that was when I was 15/16. And like you said, 19 is a really young age to have a HT (he did mention that I am one of his youngest patients), but I don't think many people's hair loss is as severe as mine. I mean at 17 you could see that eventually all hair on top would be lost, and now its worse.

I may go to a doc here in Canada just to check it out.

Thanks for the reply!

This doc should be fired out of a cannon into the sun for operating on you at 19. Now that you have had an HT though, it's possible that Dr Rahal or H&W would operate on you on a repair basis, I would get in contact with them to discuss your options.