difference between grafts-hairs

Hello All,

I see a lot of people mentioning 'x' number of grafts. I still do not get the difference between hairs and grafts.

Is the number of grafts and hair same or one single graft might contain more than 1 hair.

I also do not know what is a follicular unit

Please explain me about these terms.

-Raj

A graft can contain more than one hair, they can hold between 1-4 hairs. That number depends on the patient and his or her needs, due to strategic placing of certain grafts. For example if a patient needed only a small hairline transplantation the majority of the grafts would be single grafts as they are more natural looking and in the first layers of the hairline they are the only grafts that should be used. Behind that original hairline is where you would see the first double (2 hairs grafts) and triple (3 hair grafts) etc grafts being placed do add density and thickness overall. Follicular units are grafts or naturla groupings in which hair grows, of one, two, three or four hairs.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians