Differing doc opinions on graft amount via FUT

Hi All,

I've undergone several FUT procedures, all performed by the same doc (Doc 1). I'm looking to have one more.

I had a consult with Doc 1 and the max grafts he said could be obtained via FUT would be in the low 1000s. However, I also consulted with another doc (Doc 2) and he said about 2000 grafts could be retrieved via FUT. The consults were done within 6 months of each other.

I really don't understand why there's such a discrepancy between the two docs, other than one being more aggressive.

This may be my final FUT so I'm looking to maximize the amount of grafts during this upcoming procedure but I also don't want to push the limits and substantially increase the risks of the procedure.

All feedback is appreciated, physicians are always welcomed to chime in.

Many thanks.

N-6,

Each physician brings their own unique experience, background and philosophy into evaluating a prospective patient for hair transplant surgery. While some feel less grafts can accomplish a patient's goals, others may feel that more is needed. Additionally, each physician may have a different idea when evaluating a donor area in terms of laxity and tension. All surgeons want to close a donor wound under low tension, but some feel they can take a wider strip than others and still close the wound under low tension.

Ultimately, until surgery is performed, no surgeon can give you an exact number of follicular units that they can harvest however, they can provide you with a custom estimate based on their own experience. At the end of the day, you'll ultimately want to select a surgeon with a proven track record of excellent results, one you're comfortable with and one whose philosophy matches yours.

Best wishes,

Bill

The doctor who quoted 2000 may only be getting the same strip size that the doctor who quoted 1000 got, but he may be splitting those follicular units further down. Or he may be willing to push things and cut a longer or wider strip. How many grafts do YOU think you need?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Bill/RCWest, both docs I consulted with are well-credentialed. There just seems to be a pretty big divergence (nearly 1000 grafts) in the amount of grafts that one doc thinks he can get versus what the other doc thinks he can get. This will probably be my last strip and both docs acknowledged that so I would like to get as many as possible (because I sure do need them) BUT I dont want to take an overly aggressive approach and wind up with scar issues. Decisions, decisions . . .