Any advice would help!

Hello all.

Hoping you can provide some valuable advice for me. I am six weeks post op from a 2500 graft HT. At this point I probably couldn't look any worse in my doner area. I have shockloss, and a very red scar that I am unable to conceal.

In about four weeks I will have to attend a wedding and want to get some kind of concealer for the doner area. It would only be used in places of shockloss and only in the future when I feel the scar is noticeable.

Heard much about Dermatch and Toppik. Would either of these two benefit my situation or is there another product I should look into?

Thanks.

headinahole,

Dermmatch, Toppk, and Nanogen all have pretty good reviews. You may want to consider tyring one to see how it works for you. Be aware though that it will take you some time to get the application just right. Practice makes perfect icon_smile.gif

Best wishes and have fun on your upcoming wedding,

Bill

headinahole

I have found dermmatch to be very effective for pretty extensive shockloss. Nanogen was also pretty good too. (I have read that some people try using them together.) Without them I didn't want anyone to see the shockloss but after I put them on I felt it was pretty undetectable. There may be a line that makes it look like you've been wearing a hat, which people sometimes refer to as hat-head but no-one who didn't know about my HT has said anything about that.

Also you might want to consider changing some other aspect of your appearance to draw attention away from the donor area. I grew a beard and now people are commenting about that and their eyes are drawn to that area rather than anywhere else.

Bill, Imissthebarber.

Thanks for your replies. Would you happen to know what concealer can be applied best just by using a fingertip? Don't really want a spray or something to shake over.

I don't reaaly know much about concealers or how they are applied.

Thanks again.

Would you happen to know what concealer can be applied best just by using a fingertip?

Nanogen is a shake over which was pretty quick. Dermmatch is applied with a special applicator sponge about the size of a fingertip. I guess you could use a finger tip, but the sponge is provided and works well. However, my experience was dermmatch took a little longer to apply and then a little time to settle and be fully dry. I would definitely experiment before the big day.

Good luck man.

Nanogen or Toppik

I have only used nanogen but I believe they are similar. See the above thread for more detail.

I think I read that Nanogen is basically tiny sheep hairs treated with some kind of electrostatic charge that makes it stick to your head so if it does come off it will look just like tiny hairs. I haven't used it that much.

My experience with dermmatch was that it didn't come off in any significant amount on a dark pillow case but other people may disagree. This is more like a powder and it could come off on your fingers although this is more of an issue straight after application. Once it has settled down it should be OK. However practice is definitely required before the big day. I found after a few hours it did not come off even when I put my head under the shower. Only shampoo made it come out.

• 4 weeks later...

Both might help you with concealing, however note that neither of these products addresses scars and red spots as you say...

Look into Empire Hair Max (promotional link removed - read our terms of service you agreed to) for that... same technique as Toppik, but with Dead Sea salt powder (known for relieving scars, psoriasis, eczema and so on).

This added bonus is really a treat IMO.