Time Line for Growth post HT

After a FUT what is the longest it could take for hair to grow?

I have heard that 12 months most people have full growth, but can it take up to 18-24 months before growth for a person that has had multiple procedures?

PLEASE ADVISE

After about 4-6 months you should start seeing some growth, but some people can be slow growers or only see a small amount of progress. By 12 months your hair should have mostly grown out and you should have a strong idea of whether your procedure has been a success or not.

Over the next 12 months your hair will probably continue to "mature". That usually means it should become of a better quality and feel a bit thicker and healthier.

I'm not sure if having multiple procedures increasing the waiting time for hair to grow; somebody else on this board might be able to give a better answer. Generally speaking though, after a year you should have the majority of your growth, with the remaining 6-12 months seeing a bit of thickening up and maturing.

Here is what I say at my consultations:

We'll operate on you today. Tomorrow you won't look too bad. The next 3 days you'll look worse than you expect as swelling in the recipient frontal region works its way down the face. About 6 days from now, that ought to be about gone. You'll return a week from today and we'll remove your sutures, and most likely, you won't have cleaned your recipient area enough(due to fear of pulling out hairs that you've just paid for...) so I'll tell you to go home and really clean well. The next day, you should look fine...except that you now have hair where you didn't before.

That hair will grow for about a month, then its all going to fall out and the roots will go into a rest cycle. I'd like to look at your scar in a month. Its free, I don't sell anything, I just want to make sure your scar is doing ok. If not, which is about one time in 20 I'll inject a little cortisone to help it soften up.

Then I'd like to see you in 6 months when maybe there's a little growth but by and large you're getting frustrated.

And finally I'd like to see you at a year. Now really I'd like to see you at about 16 months, but noone can ever remember that and most people have about 80% results at a year, so let me see you then.

And if I can convince you, I'll ask you to come back at about 18 months to compare the 12 and 18 month pics, as there will be continued thickening.

As far as 2nd and 3rd cases go, I think that about half grow in quicker and half slower. Hard to predict.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians