New Guy

Hello everyone! After lurking for several months and researching threads I decided to take the plunge. I'm currently 26 and have noticed over the past 3 years the hair at my temple region has been thinning and receding. A friend of mine in his early 40's had his transplant done by Dr. Pistone in Marlton, NJ. I made an appointment with the office and when I arrived I was disappointed that it wasn't the actual doctor, but a salesman who was going to answer my questions. I immediately scratched this doctor off my list!

I have been classified as a Norwood II, and have a great donor area. My only thinning area is the temple region. My questions are as follows

1) Should I get on a Finasteride and special shampoo routine?

2) Should my primary care doctor be prescribing this or should I go see a recommended HT doctor?

3) I will post pictures at some point for critique, but my main concern is at 26 that if I had a transplant now what would my hairline be like in my 40's and later?

4) Any supplements I should add to my daily, weekly, monthly intake?

I am really looking for a good NJ, NY, PA doctor that I can work with to help me along my path of hair loss. Thanks in advance!

Lucky7 at your young age it would be appropriate to consult with a coalition doctor about your hair loss. He or she should tell you if taking Minoxidil or Finasteride is the right choice and they will also tell you if you are a good candidate for surgery, but since you are young they may want you to defer treatment after about half a year on one of those medications to see if you have stabilized.

I would suggest seeing a coalition doctor for this prescription as they will also be able to tell you more about the transplantation process and if you are a good candidate, so you can take down two birds with one stone.

The design of the transplantation will consider how you will look at 40 years as well as 80 years. This hair will be with you forever, so we design it appropriately with the pattern of loss that is expected. You may need to get additional transplants done in the future if the surgeon believes you will go on to lose more native hair, but they may be years later.

There are some supplements that can help with overall hair health and quality, sol palmetto, biotin, but Minoxidil and Finasteride are much better and you will see greater results with those as opposed to vitamins or supplements.

I am a consultant with Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin in New York. All opinions are my own. www.TrueDorin.com

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Lucky7,

Welcome! You've come to the right place. We have several experienced, world-class physicians in the NY area. I suggest you begin by consulting our interactive map to locate the prescreened quality hair restoration physicians nearest you.

In addition, the following articles from our Hair Loss Q&A Blog will help you begin your research.

Preparing for a Hair Transplant: How to do the Research

How to Choose the Right Hair Transplant Doctor for You

When choosing your hair restoration physician, don't let proximity and price drive your decision. View lots of before and after photos and, if possible, meet with real hair transplant patients in person.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi, Lucky7!

I fly for living so you can say that it is easier for me to tell you to come to Florida. However, if I were you I would consider it. One of my buddies had hair transplant with Dr Barusco a little over a year ago. His results are amazing. When I saw him, I just knew I had to see Dr. Barusco. I went to Maitland, MHR, where my friend had his sx done. MHR is now Bosley and I was told by Dan that he was no longer in the business. I was able to locate Dr. Barusco who has never left the business and is in Port Orange, FL www.tempushair.com I had my sx on August 30th, 2990 grafts. Feel free to email me if you want more info about the procedure lockmoura@gmail.com I will post my pics when my hair growns.

Lucky7

If you going to do it or think about it, you need to see “the person” who is going to do the cutting. I made that mistake early on and went to the chumps with big marketing $$ and saw their salesman. Huge mistake - sales pitch, fast talker, - then I went on here and learned about real docs doing this. This site is the one that pointed me to the right person. Do your reading and find someone listed here who is recommended. You want to make sure you meet with the doc - avoid the salesman.

Broker,

I totally agree. It amazes me that something as serious as hair restoration surgery can be left in the hands of unqualified salesman. I understand the surgeon does the actual cutting, but I would never be comfortable unless the doc and I met one on one. Thanks for the input guys. I sincerely appreciate it.

Broker & Lucky7,

I get my pacycheck from the ariline I fly for, so I really don't have any interest in posting here other than sharing my experience with you guys. Besides, I can't be blogging all the time, but I wanted to tell you my experience. I agree that you should talk to the doctor who is going to be doing the procedure for you.

I went to my doctor after talking to my friend, who had an amazing experience and result from him, so I already felt comfortable with his work. When I went to Dr. Barusco's office for the initial consultation, I met with a previous patient who took me through an educational presentation, not a medical consultation and for sure not a sales pitch. He never recommended that I did or did not do anything.

Doctor Barusco came in after the presentation and spent almost 45 minuts with me, examining my scalp, discussing what I wanted and educating me on my options and expectations. That made me feel really comfortable with him and his staff.

Good luck on your research.

Lucky7,

I had the surgery with Dr. Pistone back in late August 2010 and the results so far are excellent. I suggest you contact some of his patient references (as is good to do with all doctors you are considering) and it will help you choose someone right for you. Good luck!

Frickster