5 months 13 days Post op, Bad shock loss..Help!!!

Hi,

I am trying to be positive and not lose it but I am having a bad result. My donor scar looks really bad in my eyes and the hair in the back of my head has all but thinned out. It appears to be bad shock loss which is also very visible on the top of the scar. I am 5 months out and I am so sad that my head look like this now. PLease if anyone can provide thought, suggestions I would really appreciate it. Is this common or does it appear to be as bad as I'm feeling it is? Thank you.

Scar2_11-20-09.thumb.jpg.e8783b00de4f930a626c8212e4ec27fa.jpg

I am waiting for his response, he won't be back until Tuesday. I had it done at Wuality Hair restoration aks Marquee (spelling may be off) in Florida. And I wish I would have read this site first before going there.

Originally posted by Severn:

I've never seen a case of shock loss that severe, and don't think I've heard of one happening 5 months after the procedure.

I started to notice the shock loss about 2 months after the procedure, but by bit. I don't know what's going on.

Guest wanthairs

dross----

I actually have seen a couple of cases of shockloss worse than yours, also at around 5 or 6 months post op.

In both cases it grew back by about month 9.

dross, Permanent shockloss is generally something that happens in the recipient area; it's when hairs that were effected by dht and not likely to last much longer are traumatized from the surgery and do not re-grow. This is not to be confused with transection, which is when the graft is damaged by the surgeon cutting, or temporary shockloss which is very common around the scar area. Yours looks like the latter, and can occur around 2-3 months and take a few months to grow back. So, I wouldn't press the panic button just yet. Wait it out a few months and hopefully it will all grow back. How is your recipient area looking?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

how the recipiant site???

i also notice you are female, lucky for you its not the end of the world if for some reason it did not grow back as you can have your hair down. however i still understand your problem and agree with hairthere, i think you should be fine within a few months and with you being female you have a better chance as IMO i think female hair is stronger than male hair and can take more abuse.

just think positive

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

Originally posted by hairthere:

dross, Permanent shockloss is generally something that happens in the recipient area; it's when hairs that were effected by dht and not likely to last much longer are traumatized from the surgery and do not re-grow. This is not to be confused with transection, which is when the graft is damaged by the surgeon cutting, or temporary shockloss which is very common around the scar area. Yours looks like the latter, and can occur around 2-3 months and take a few months to grow back. So, I wouldn't press the panic button just yet. Wait it out a few months and hopefully it will all grow back. How is your recipient area looking?

Thank you hairthere. The recipient area is JUST starting to grow, but I don't see the 2,000 plus grafts yet, and I am worried. I called the docs office and they said the hairs dont always grow in at the same time, but we will see about that. About 3 months ago, the back of my hair did NOT look that way, all of a sudden, the hair was gone.

Originally posted by Balboa:

how the recipiant site???

i also notice you are female, lucky for you its not the end of the world if for some reason it did not grow back as you can have your hair down. however i still understand your problem and agree with hairthere, i think you should be fine within a few months and with you being female you have a better chance as IMO i think female hair is stronger than male hair and can take more abuse.

just think positive

Yes, I am a woman...lol. I have been wearing braids for a while and the front of my hair got thin, so I went for the procedure to get it thicker. I just need it to grow. Women need hair..lol...trying to cheerful =) I think it is shock loss though because it just started to thin out recently, but the scar looks bad doesn't it?

Dross, When you say, "the scar looks bad," do you mean from the shockloss or do you suspect it has stretched? It is tough to tell from your picture which it is. If it is just shockloss I really think it will grow back. Scar stretching is a different problem which would require scar revision surgery or FUE surgery to fix.

But regarding HT growth: it really is a full year process and patience is key. And, if the results are not optimal, you can always go for another HT (although I recommend going with a coalition doc from this site).

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

During the procedure, I believe I asked for more lidocaine than expected from the doctor because it was just so painful. I have been reading on the internet about other people who got shock loss in the donor area and have read that lidocaine injections can play a role in cutting off blood supply. Has anyone heard of this?

Originally posted by hairthere:

Dross, When you say, "the scar looks bad," do you mean from the shockloss or do you suspect it has stretched? It is tough to tell from your picture which it is. If it is just shockloss I really think it will grow back. Scar stretching is a different problem which would require scar revision surgery or FUE surgery to fix.

Well, the scar is actually thick, like I can feel it is raised when I touch it and I'm hoping that it looks so much worse because of the shock loss I have and there being no hair to cover it up. I don't think it is stretched though, I think the surgeon did a bad job and gave me a bad scar. It does not look hairline to me at all.

But regarding HT growth: it really is a full year process and patience is key. And, if the results are not optimal, you can always go for another HT (although I recommend going with a coalition doc from this site).