Advice needed!

29 years old-been noticing receding in temple for areas for a few years now-really annoys me and constantly covering temple area as i wear my hair reasonably long.want to continue my hair style if possible. had consultation with dr.kiely as well as dr.collins in ireland.

I am very impressed with this forum and hearing peoples honest experiences and opinions. Have since read many pretty uncomplimentary work done by kiely so he is not an option. dr.collins seems to do tidy work but is very expensive. Would really appreciate advice on what to do. I am now considering going overseas but still cautious as to complications and going back if things go wrong etc.

I read that Dr.Farjo in Manchester does excellent work.

what are his costs?(same price range as dr.collins in Ireland?) Costs are not mentioned on his website.

Dr.Feller in New York also had a great reputation-distance and worries of complications to take into consideration!

Any doctor that is recommended on this site as Dr. Farjo is, is a great place to start with your research for hair transplantation. I am unaware of his prices, but a quality hair transplant is worth more than you think. There are many surgeons out there who may charge much less, but the quality of the finished product is not up to par. If you are interested in going abroad many doctors offer online/phone consultations so you do not have to travel across an ocean before being seen and properly diagnosed for hair transplantation by a surgeon.

As for the complications that may occur, they are usually uncommon. The procedure is quite easy to go through and the incisions are very superficial, and the chances of getting an infection are quite low, as you will be taking antibiotics. I would recommend staying where you the procedure was performed for 7-10 days if you are worried about something happening, that way your surgeon will be able to help you, but once again the procedure is quite comforable and most post operative issues can be fixed by any doctor.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

thanks appreciate the reply. I do understand that there is no point in losing precious donor hair with a botched job by going to a cheap surgeon. However, I read of dr.feller's excellent reputation-i have been on his site and his prices are reasonable-working out at about 6,ooo euro for 1500 graphs.

Dr.Collins in Ireland-my homeland-quoted 15oo graphs at 12,500 euros. Thats a considerable difference considering the reputation of Dr.Feller. (am aware that Ireland is far behind USA and much of Europe in the hair transplant area.(only 2 transplant surgeons in Ireland)

Yes the price you were quoted is certainly higher than market value in the U.S. Dr. Feller, Dr. Robert Dorin, Dr. Robert True are in the New York area (if that's the location you were most interested to travel to), all with great reputations. You can look up these doctors personal pages on this site with patient reviews and their credentials. The price in the U.S is typically around $4-$6 per graft for an FUT procedure, and the amount depends on the total amount of grafts you would require, so if it was 1500 grafts than about $6000-$7000 is what you should expect to see.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Was not originally but now now im thinking differently. going overseas must definitely be taken into consideration. over the phone consultations can they really be that satisfactory?anyone had a phone consultation?

was advised to consider both rogaine and propecia also. have my reservations about starting such treatments right now-if i started on such a product and then came off it in a year or whatever would'nt that be detrimental to my hair?

You should definitely consider using Rogaine and Propecia as they will help you retain your native hair and also can help grow miniaturized and unhealthy hair. If you stop using them, it will not aggravate the hair loss you will simply return to the pattern of hair loss you would have experienced before using the medication. Dr. True and Dr. Dorin offer phone/online consultation it can be done through skype, or through photos by email. Technology today has given doctors the opportunity and ability to see patients from great distances while still being able to give a proper diagnosis. Obviously there would be another consultation the day of surgery if you were to proceed just to agree on the exact treatment that will be done.

I represent Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Visit our website at www.TrueDorin.com

Edited by Thehairupthere

• 2 months later...

I have been to advanced hair studio in dublin recently for free consultation. i have decided to hol back on any transplant work for the time being to see how things develop. i have started on finesteride (proscar--1mg daily) only on it just over a month.

The guy at A.H.S. recommended me 6 months laser treatment-consisting of weekly visits for 50 minutes coupled with a 6 month supply of minodoxil 7% strength.

I asked him will all improvements i may have after the 6 months disappear in the future when i stop using laser coupled with minodoxil. He told me that i will hold onto any imrovements as i am taking the finesteride (dht innhibitor).

Is this just a sales pitch or is this actually true.

I would definitely consider having the laser if improvement s made lasted not just ofr the 6 months of treatment.

I have frequently read that once one stops using minodoxil all gained hair will be lost. Will the finesteride hold onto gained hair even after ceasing use of laser/minodoxil. I am nw 2 at worse at the moment and want to take every step poassible to at least hold onto what i have.

Anyone have any knowledge/experince/advice on this???

sincerely,

harry

It's difficult to be completely sure if stopping Minoxidil will cause you to lose hair. It's true that hair gained through using it will usually be lost once stopping it (so the sales guy is wrong), but it could be that in your case the Proscar will be responsible for any benefits you see from the combined treatment. After all, if both the Proscar and the Minoxidil were doing exactly the same thing then you wouldn't need both, and some guys see results from one treatment and not the other.

As a rule though, it's best to commit to using any treatment if you're serious about keeping your hair.

I would also direct you to this thread:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158685-laser-hair-restoration-fact-fiction.html

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi there. I used to work for Advanced Hair Studio and can tell you that it's always worth getting the right surgeon. I have had two transplants myself and the results were amazing when you combine it with propecia which will let you keep the hair you have, making it healthier and thicker, and also give you a chance of growing some back provided the follicle hasn't closed over. I recommend Niall Friel as a consultant. You an find him on my website here (Promotional link removed). I don't make any money from him nor am I selling you anything. It's purely an information site with links to other sites. You'll find him on there. He's based in Northern Ireland but I know he uses a surgeon in England and he'll only use the best. He was once completely bald on top and now has a full head of his own hair, no wigs or nothing. You'd need to see it to believe it.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

I think that it has been stated here many times that finding the right surgeon is on the same page as you is critical to having any sort of success.

In fact, a lot of surgeons are on this site. You are able to find any sort of information that you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys much appreciated.

the niall friel story is quite remarkable. how come more people do not opt for the scalp reduction procedure as he had done. is it dangerous? is it best to be fully bald to have this work done-i find it inrtriguing....