transferring money to Thailand

Big Allan

Allan, i remembered replying u before. For me, i just basically remitted 80 to 90% of the money ( according to their estimation of grafts ). I just carry the remaining of the cash in my wallet and paid them after surgery

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hi,

I completed a wire transfer a month or two before I underwent my surgery. I received an email from Doctor Oravan confirming payment.

I had no problems with DHT Clinic and I actually had a small refund because they weren't able to transplant the total amount that I paid for i.e. scalp laxicity.

Regards

Rod

Not to sound like I have anything against going out of the country for an HT procedure. Because I really don't. But out of general curiosity I have to ask why. Why all the way to Thailand when there are so many great HT doctors in the U.S.?

in thailand you get screwed big time for using credit or debit cards and for withdrawing money from atms.....

my advice take cash on the day and go straight there and pay them and avoid all tax/comission you have to pay

or direct wire transfer if you dont mind paying the fee??

Hi,

Not to sound like I have anything against going out of the country for an HT procedure. Because I really don't. But out of general curiosity I have to ask why. Why all the way to Thailand when there are so many great HT doctors in the US?

Not everyone one lives in the US. In my case I am from Australia and as far as I am aware there are no doctors recommended on this forum for HT. I was going to Phuket, Thailand for a holiday anyway and it wasn't much of an effort or cost in going to Bangkok.

Regards

Rod

dr path is a great guy and his patiants so far have been having very very good results, his scars are very refined and he has a great team, ive spoken to him in person and he is a great man and a good dr, you should have any worrys going to him........... in my opinion his skills rival any and the best of US dr's....

being from oz hes not far away from you and the price is good and so is the quality of the work jus look up his patient websites and the strip scars i have to say are very clean and refind and the work in the recipiant area is very clean and the results are good from what ive seen posted by patients......

im sure you will be very pleased with your experinace with dr path and also the professional and friendly nature of his staff!!!

his prices are half that of the usa and his work just as good

good luck with it all and have fun in bangkok, make sure you go to lumpini for a moi thai match

:D

wb280,

Yes, I do remember your response in this regard and I did do direct depositing for confirming HT date. Forex I got was terribly low. So checking with other members as well to see what is reliable way to transfer money and at the same time get good exchange rate.

Thanks,

Allan

in thailand you get screwed big time for using credit or debit cards and for withdrawing money from atms.....

Don't withdraw from ATMs as there is a 150 baht fee. Go inside a branch and do an over the counter withdrawal (simply give them your debit card) - there is no fee for this and you can get out 20,000 instead of (for UK nationwide at least) around 13,500 (?300)

wb280,

Yes, I do remember your response in this regard and I did do direct depositing for confirming HT date. Forex I got was terribly low.

Never send in Thai Baht - always send in your countries currency and allow the conversion to happen Thai side. The rates are much much better.

Alternatively, bring cash and take it to Super Rich near Central World to get an even better rate (though the convenience of a wire transfer might make that more simple!)

My Hairloss Website

HT#1 - Dr Pathomvanich - 2900 Grafts

HT#2 - Dr Pathomvanich - 1500 Grafts

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Allan,

I had my hair transplant with DHT Clinic in August 2010 and they are professional and caring organisation. I travelled from Australia and I remember sitting in the operating theatre before my hair transplant and I asked myself 'what on earth I was doing'.

For the first 3 - 4 days I experienced a little discomfort (donar strip) and I felt a bit tired if I went shopping too much. I am 3 months post operation and it is near undetectable that I had a hair transplant. A couple of friend's yesterday did not believe that I had a procedure at all. At the moment there is a little growth with many fine hairs growing and are somewhat like baby hair.

You will be in good hands with the staff at DHT Clinic. Have you decided where you are going to stay in Bangkok? Abloom Private Apartments in 1 stop away from the clinic and is priced quite very reasonably.

Good luck.

Regards

Rod

Edited by RodG

Big Allan, i can attest to what Rod has mentioned, without the 'what on earth am i doing' part :) Its normal to feel nervous but like the past patients like Rod and I mentioned, there is really nothing to worry about. Basically, the pain was minimal and the team knows what they are doing. At 5months now, i am having more growth and a new hair line which i never had but similar to Rod, they are still wispy and thin. I expect more maturing to happen from now on :)

Anyway in case u were unaware of, Dr Pat was being award the top golden follicle award at the yearly convention and he was just approved for coalition membership in this forum. Hope that further boost your confidence in him :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

For my 2 surgeries with Dr.PATH, i wired about 90 % of estimated graphs needed.Its safer and just carry some in your wallet for 500 more if needed.

Any less Dr.path will refund you on follow up wash day in thai baht which u can either keep or just change into dollars at Bank downstairs from his office.

Best to be safe than sorry carrying a bundle of cash.

Youll enjoy your experince there.

I'm now just 18 days away from my surgery with Dr. Pathomvanich and the doubts are already starting to creep in....not in a big way, just every now and then. Not sure what I'll be like on the day but I'm sure I'll be having a few of those "what the hell am I doing here" moments :eek:.

To be entirely honest, I'm more worried about the blood tests than anything else. It's been four years since my last HIV test and it doesn't get any easier.

As far as transferring money is concerned, I've already transferred the deposit and will send the balance early next week. I'm planning to send enough money to cover the larger of the two estimates that I was given during my consultation (I was given an estimate with and without grafts in the temple areas). At the current exchange rates, there should also be enough money there for an extra 200 grafts, just in case.

I plan on posting the details of the surgery and my progress.

Hi Recession,

I understand your concerns but my comments in my previous post still stand. I am about 13 weeks post operation and I looked at a photograph from last year at work the other day. It is easy to tell that I have more hair than before. Lots of fine growth and I'm pretty happy 'at this stage' with the HT.

I actually had my HT with Doctor Path's assistant (Doctor Kulakarn) who will assist him on the day. I think you are in good hands but with every operation there is always that concern that things won't work out.

In regard to your HEP B, C and HIV test I had mine done prior to the surgery here in Australia. If you have a positive test DHT Clinic will not perform the procedure (at least this is my understanding of the process) and I just wanted it squared away before I got to Thailand, so I didn't have to go thru any false positives (which has happened before).

Good luck and report how you go we are all interested.

Regards

Rod

Hi recession, you remind me of my case. In fact, i did so much research in this forum and always hesitant ( like nearly everyone else ). Finally, i thought to myself. If i dun do anything, i will wake up everyday feeling bad and spend every evening in the forum mellowing and whining. One fine day, i knew what i had to do and i just did it. Focus on that and the 'what the hell am i doing here' will take care of itself :)

Anyway like i mentioned many times to would-be patients, Dr Pat is a conscientious doctor and skilled. Pain was minimal, and everything went well.

Hi wb280,

Thanks for the advice. I agree completely about deciding to just go for it. In my case, I don't absolutely have to get it done right now as I still have a somewhat passable hairline and I can get by without too much comment on my hairloss. However, over the last couple of years, it's become very obvious to me that, if I don't do something about it soon, I will be bald and that's not something I can ever imagine for myself. That knowledge alone is enough to fuel my determination to take the plunge now rather than let the issue fester.

As for my concerns about the surgery, I've not been worrying about it too much...just the odd sudden realisation now and then. As it happens, my dad is having heart bypass surgery on the day before I leave so that's occupying my thoughts right now rather than my own situation.

Recession, i understand your point. To be honest, if u have enough native hair and can pull it off with some toppik, i would recommend u to hold on. Especially when its not getting into your head yet.

I was using concealers all the time until i was so reliant on it ( u can read my HL blog ) and i could not even get out from my apartment to my car to get something without toppik. Once i did not apply concealers and i basically ran to my car and back to my apartment. I thought to myself, why am i doing this? this is the mental part. I cannot find peace with myself unless i go for HT ( and of cos u goto make sure u r an acceptable candidate with enough donor etc )

If it does not trouble u that much now, i strongly suggest u to just hold out :)