Concidering HT and need some advice. Pics attached!

Propecia gave me bad sides. Genetic hairloss seemed to be triggered at the start of anti-depressant medications. I have been on rogaine for about 9 months and it is not working. I am thinking of discontinuing usage.

Hairline is most noticebly affected by hairloss with thining from the crown forward. Kind of hard to idantify my case with the Norwood. I have tried shaving my head and It just looked horrible so that is no longer an option for me nor is keeping my hair short because my ears stick out too much.

I have done a lot of research to include reading some of the post on here, thanks by the way, I appreciate what you all do. At 28 I have a lot of donor hair left and I am concidering a FUE, ultra refined transplant.

Hope for some advice and guidance from all especially those that have had to go with a transplant.

Any advice, recommended doctors? Anything at all that would help. Thanks.

Edited by hairtopik

You look like a great candidate, but I'm relatively new myself. Quick question: What do you mean by "ultra refined" transplant--a term I'm not familiar with? I'm sure you'll get lots of great responses--good luck!

Hi hairtopik,

There is every chance that you could be a good candidate for an HT, but this is of course dependent on a lot of factors.

The fact that you're unable to take propecia is something that would have to be strongly considered. As we all know an HT can replace some of the lost hair in balding/thinning regions but it cannot stop further hairloss from happening. In the world of hairloss you're relatively young at 28 and so, although nobody can say for certain how much hair you'll lose in your lifetime, there is theoretically a chance you could continue to bald for many years to come. It is possible (and in reality probable) you'd need multiple HTs over your lifetime to replace lost hair and, even then, with current technology we only have a limited amount of donor hair which needs to go around. In short the more natural hair you can keep the better, and propecia/rogaine are still the only two drugs really proven to have an effect.

You don't need to be taking propecia to have an HT, but a doctor would have to plan for the possibility that your donor hair would one day have to be used to cover most of the top of your head. Issues such as density then come into play; if a doctor only has to fix a mildly thinning/balding head then they can possibly aim for higher densities in transplantation, but if the doctor is unsure how much further work you'll need they will need to plan conservatively in case in 5 or 10 years time, for example, you need a 2nd and possibly more HTs.

In terms of recommended doctors there is a 'coalition' of recommended doctors on this site and that's a great starting point. You can get information such as their location, see their work and find out what techniques they use to make a choice about who to visit. They will give you expert and honest advice about what you can do and the results you can expect.

Both FUT and FUE are good options with different pros/cons but as a general rule of thumb I would say the following applies to FUE:

* It's usually more expensive (though don't make cost your main consideration - an HT is for life and needs to be right!).

* The procedures tend to be smaller. These days FUT (strip) procedures can transplant thousands of grafts - maybe 3-6,000 in a single procedure. To my knowledge (though I am not an expert so best to research) FUE tends to be smaller procedures at a time, so you may need more procedures through FUE than FUT.

* FUE is not scarless. I only say this because a common misconception is that FUE produces no scars whilst FUT produces big scars. It's probably true that an FUT produces a more obvious strip-like scar (though this is hidden by hair and, in the hands of a good surgeon, very thin and clean) but FUE also produce tiny, mottled-texture scars. These tend not to be quite as noticeable since they look more textured than scar-like, but make sure you're aware a scare is inevitable with HT whatever current method you use. These days scars are not a big issue; many people can shave their hair very short and not show either FUE or FUT scars. But they are always present and must be considered.

Goals are also important. It's a harsh but simple fact that current HT techniques cannot restore a full head of hair and can, at best, usually only give somebody between 30-50% of their original density. In most cases this looks fine and patients are happy and a combination of good surgery and good styling means, to 90% of people 90% of the time, nobody notices and the illusion you have a good head of hair is maintained. But it is an illusion; if you run your hand through your hair, style it poorly or see a transplant in harsh sunlight it becomes clear you don't have a full head of hair.

I only say this because I personally feel the first psychological step on the road to getting a successful HT is to face up to the fact you're not going to have a full, thick head of hair like you did when you were 15 or something. You need to be comfortable with the idea that, rather than regaining a nice thick head of hair, you're actually only getting an 'acceptable' cosmetic look.

I don't say that to be harsh or undermine HTs (which can and often do look amazing). All cosmetic surgery is based on similar principles: you're not truly fixing the problem, you're very successfully creating the visual appearance you've fixed the problem. If you can deal with that, you might be a good candidate! Often, though, potential patients are disappointed when they start to realise an HT isn't going to actually take them back to 'how they were before'. What's probably more upsetting than losing your hair is not reaching your goals when you try to fix it. It's all about being realistic I guess.

Of course we don't know what future treatments lie around the corner, and maybe the future is bright and restoring more hair at higher densities is going to be an option. But until the fantasy becomes a fact, we need to plan as if this is as good as it gets!

Anyway, I have digressed a lot sorry, but for good reason. You actually have a decent head of hair at the moment. Yes, it is thinning and yes a HT would very likely improve it, but you need to weigh up a lot of factors to make a proper decision: how much will it cost, how much will your hair improve, what's the likelihood you will need further work, what are the implications of setting down that path etc.

This forum is a great starting point but find a good doctor local to you (or somewhere you're happy to travel to) and get their advice. Make sure you can achieve what you want cosmetically and make sure you understand both the good and the bad. I'm not suggesting there are "bad" elements to a HT, they're very safe and very effective. But they do have limitations and our brains can trick us into thinking "once I get this HT I'll look perfect and be happy and it'll be worth the cost and the effort". The reality is there is a lot to consider and a good doctor will give you the truth and let you make a decision you won't regret, one way or another.

Hope this helps a bit. Overall I'd say you definitely have a good chance of being a candidate for HT but go see a doctor, go see what you can expect to achieve and discuss your personal situation and make the best decision for you.

Why did you decide on FUE and not FUT? I'm 29 and I'm getting FUT tomorrow.

Everyone I've spoken to so far has said that only a small percentage of people are good candidates for FUE. Also, they say that FUT has a higher success rate of the transplanted hair growing. Look into it...

Go to a consultation and speak with a coalition doctor. Good Luck.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

hairtopik, out of curiosity what bad side effects was the Propecia giving you? is it possible that those sides were caused by the anti-depressants? According to the docs I know, Propecia will cause noticeable side effects in a very small minority of people. Around 2-3%.

In terms of doctors I would recommend looking further than the names that simply get echoed on these boards. What is your location?

true. location and budget are two things that have to be considered when considering ht.

it seems that you have done your homework and are knowledgeable about these topics. I am sure you will make the right decision for you.

Keep us posted.

Wow, is this a great post--thanks!

Hi hairtopik,

There is every chance that you could be a good candidate for an HT, but this is of course dependent on a lot of factors.

The fact that you're unable to take propecia is something that would have to be strongly considered. As we all know an HT can replace some of the lost hair in balding/thinning regions but it cannot stop further hairloss from happening. In the world of hairloss you're relatively young at 28 and so, although nobody can say for certain how much hair you'll lose in your lifetime, there is theoretically a chance you could continue to bald for many years to come. It is possible (and in reality probable) you'd need multiple HTs over your lifetime to replace lost hair and, even then, with current technology we only have a limited amount of donor hair which needs to go around. In short the more natural hair you can keep the better, and propecia/rogaine are still the only two drugs really proven to have an effect.

You don't need to be taking propecia to have an HT, but a doctor would have to plan for the possibility that your donor hair would one day have to be used to cover most of the top of your head. Issues such as density then come into play; if a doctor only has to fix a mildly thinning/balding head then they can possibly aim for higher densities in transplantation, but if the doctor is unsure how much further work you'll need they will need to plan conservatively in case in 5 or 10 years time, for example, you need a 2nd and possibly more HTs.

In terms of recommended doctors there is a 'coalition' of recommended doctors on this site and that's a great starting point. You can get information such as their location, see their work and find out what techniques they use to make a choice about who to visit. They will give you expert and honest advice about what you can do and the results you can expect.

Both FUT and FUE are good options with different pros/cons but as a general rule of thumb I would say the following applies to FUE:

* It's usually more expensive (though don't make cost your main consideration - an HT is for life and needs to be right!).

* The procedures tend to be smaller. These days FUT (strip) procedures can transplant thousands of grafts - maybe 3-6,000 in a single procedure. To my knowledge (though I am not an expert so best to research) FUE tends to be smaller procedures at a time, so you may need more procedures through FUE than FUT.

* FUE is not scarless. I only say this because a common misconception is that FUE produces no scars whilst FUT produces big scars. It's probably true that an FUT produces a more obvious strip-like scar (though this is hidden by hair and, in the hands of a good surgeon, very thin and clean) but FUE also produce tiny, mottled-texture scars. These tend not to be quite as noticeable since they look more textured than scar-like, but make sure you're aware a scare is inevitable with HT whatever current method you use. These days scars are not a big issue; many people can shave their hair very short and not show either FUE or FUT scars. But they are always present and must be considered.

Goals are also important. It's a harsh but simple fact that current HT techniques cannot restore a full head of hair and can, at best, usually only give somebody between 30-50% of their original density. In most cases this looks fine and patients are happy and a combination of good surgery and good styling means, to 90% of people 90% of the time, nobody notices and the illusion you have a good head of hair is maintained. But it is an illusion; if you run your hand through your hair, style it poorly or see a transplant in harsh sunlight it becomes clear you don't have a full head of hair.

I only say this because I personally feel the first psychological step on the road to getting a successful HT is to face up to the fact you're not going to have a full, thick head of hair like you did when you were 15 or something. You need to be comfortable with the idea that, rather than regaining a nice thick head of hair, you're actually only getting an 'acceptable' cosmetic look.

I don't say that to be harsh or undermine HTs (which can and often do look amazing). All cosmetic surgery is based on similar principles: you're not truly fixing the problem, you're very successfully creating the visual appearance you've fixed the problem. If you can deal with that, you might be a good candidate! Often, though, potential patients are disappointed when they start to realise an HT isn't going to actually take them back to 'how they were before'. What's probably more upsetting than losing your hair is not reaching your goals when you try to fix it. It's all about being realistic I guess.

Of course we don't know what future treatments lie around the corner, and maybe the future is bright and restoring more hair at higher densities is going to be an option. But until the fantasy becomes a fact, we need to plan as if this is as good as it gets!

Anyway, I have digressed a lot sorry, but for good reason. You actually have a decent head of hair at the moment. Yes, it is thinning and yes a HT would very likely improve it, but you need to weigh up a lot of factors to make a proper decision: how much will it cost, how much will your hair improve, what's the likelihood you will need further work, what are the implications of setting down that path etc.

This forum is a great starting point but find a good doctor local to you (or somewhere you're happy to travel to) and get their advice. Make sure you can achieve what you want cosmetically and make sure you understand both the good and the bad. I'm not suggesting there are "bad" elements to a HT, they're very safe and very effective. But they do have limitations and our brains can trick us into thinking "once I get this HT I'll look perfect and be happy and it'll be worth the cost and the effort". The reality is there is a lot to consider and a good doctor will give you the truth and let you make a decision you won't regret, one way or another.

Hope this helps a bit. Overall I'd say you definitely have a good chance of being a candidate for HT but go see a doctor, go see what you can expect to achieve and discuss your personal situation and make the best decision for you.

Hi hairtopik,

mahhong, thank you for you very thorough and thoughtful reply. This is exactly the kind of feedbak I need better and that we all need. Thank you very much. I will take your advive into good concideration and schedule a consult locally to get a better idea.

I am currently in Chicago, can anyone recommend a good doctor out here, preferrably one that makes great hairlines, as I was told that the hairline is most important right now. Thanks again mahhong!

Why did you decide on FUE and not FUT? I'm 29 and I'm getting FUT tomorrow.

Everyone I've spoken to so far has said that only a small percentage of people are good candidates for FUE. Also, they say that FUT has a higher success rate of the transplanted hair growing. Look into it...

Go to a consultation and speak with a coalition doctor. Good Luck.

Thanks. I actually read a post here in which a doctor brokedown the two procedures and I just concluded that FUE was the best primarily because I do not want the linear scar that FUT produces. Sorry I do not have a link for that thread.

hairtopik, out of curiosity what bad side effects was the Propecia giving you? is it possible that those sides were caused by the anti-depressants? According to the docs I know, Propecia will cause noticeable side effects in a very small minority of people. Around 2-3%.

In terms of doctors I would recommend looking further than the names that simply get echoed on these boards. What is your location?

Propecia affected my sex drive and pain in my nipple area. After talking with the endocrinologist I decided to stop using it only after one month. I was definetely the cause as symptoms went away after I stopped using it.

I am currently in Chicago. Who would you recommend? Thanks.