Question about stitches removal

I am planning on getting my hair transplant surgery done in the next few weeks by Dr. Mohmand Humayun. I have a question about the removal of stitches as I will be traveling back to the U.S after surgery and would need the staples (i am assuming) removed here in Chicagoland. I asked Dr. Humayun's staff member and he informed me that they would be providing me with a note and a diagram of how to remove the stitches and that I can take that to a general practitioner here in Chicago and the nurse or doctor could easily remove it for me.

Is this true, has anyone done this where they got the surgery done outside of US and then came back and got the stitches removed locally ? What would be the cost for removal ?

Thanks for any feedback and help.

I read somewhere recently where a paitent paid 90.00 from a local HT surgeon to have his staples removed.

You can actually have a family member or friend do it. Thats what I plan to do. Dr. Hasson gave me a staple remover so my gf will remove mine when the time comes. Its not super technical but with 80ish staples they're will probably be a few that are painful.

I think in general, any medical professional should know how to remove stitches, regardless of where they are on the body. Although, directions won't hurt.

I got stitches on vacation one time and I set up an appointment with my normal GP Dr. to take them out. It was covered with my regular health insurance, because it was just counted as a normal appointment to the Doc. (e.g. going to the Dr. because of a sore throat)

I had an interesting experience getting my stitches removed.

As I had traveled out of town for my transplant, I needed to get my stitches removed locally, which meant going to a regular family physician. Since I couldn't get an appointment with my own doctor, I went to a walk-in clinic.

I explained what I was there for and handed him the stitch removal instructions my hair transplant doctor had provided for me indicating the easiest way to remove them. He studied the sheet and got the necessary tools out.

He was very curious about my hair transplant as he'd never seen anyone who'd had one, so he asked a ton of questions. He even went as far as asking me if he could show his nurse my stitches and my incision line...which I was completely fine with. So they are both standing over me as I am lying on my stomach on the table, studying my grafts and suture line.

All of this to say, I had a very positive experience getting them removed by this physician and in fact, it was a heck of a lot less painful than after my first transplant in which my hair transplant surgeon removed my stitches. Go figure that one!

Are you having sutures or staples? I have had both and sutures are far easier to remove than staples. I found the former to be pain free, whereas the staples definitely stung a bit.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the late response hairthere....but I am not sure what they will be using for stitches. Maybe someone who has experienced hair transplant with Dr. Humayun can chime in ? All in all, I am definitely feeling a little better now that I have some confirmation from you guys.

Thanks