cutting Proscar?

jazzsnazz

Do you guys cut your Proscar manually with a razor blade, because since they're so small, pill cutters just seem to crush them into pieces of various different sizes, not uniformed whatsoever? maybe i just need a new one with a fresh blade.

jazzsnazz,

I've had great success with cutting into fourths using my pill cutter. Recently, I decided to reduce my dosage and began cutting into eighths. This is not a very precise procedure and I do get some crushing that leads to waste. I've been considering giving razorblades a try.

I look forward tot he day when generic Propecia becomes available in the US!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

That must be a pretty sharp kitchen knife, spex, to do that. I guess your kitchen is better equipped than mine is.

I use a scalpel blade. It's sharper than the pillcutter and it's easier to position the pill for even cutting.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I think you should only cut your medication on the day that you use it. Pre-cutting a mass amount could potentially weaken the effectiveness of the drug. I saw this discussed on Dr. Rassman's blog:

Does Cutting a Month of Proscar Really Lose Effectiveness? - Hair Loss Information by Dr. William Rassman

take it for what is is....

I think you should only cut your medication on the day that you use it. Pre-cutting a mass amount could potentially weaken the effectiveness of the drug. I saw this discussed on Dr. Rassman's blog:

Does Cutting a Month of Proscar Really Lose Effectiveness? - Hair Loss Information by Dr. William Rassman

take it for what is is....

I agree, I think it's best to cut them as you need them. Not because I've seen any specific proof that they will degrade, but just to be safe. Plus, depending on how they're stored, they could knock together and small parts could break off. This might not matter if you're taking 5mg quartered, which is more than the usual propecia dose, but it's something to consider. You'll end up with a pill's worth of dust in the bottom of the container. I suppose it could be snorted. (Just kidding).

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

My GF cut about 30 days worth in minutes using a razor
Am I wrong to be worried about this? Now, I don't know how old YouOnlyLiveOnce's girlfriend is but isn't it true that women are not supposed to handle finasteride? Especially when it has been split?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Am I wrong to be worried about this? Now, I don't know how old YouOnlyLiveOnce's girlfriend is but isn't it true that women are not supposed to handle finasteride? Especially when it has been split?

Correct, my friend. That is the main warning stated on my bottles....Finasteride should NOT be handled by women who can bear children.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Do you guys cut your Proscar manually with a razor blade, because since they're so small, pill cutters just seem to crush them into pieces of various different sizes, not uniformed whatsoever? maybe i just need a new one with a fresh blade.

Put a soft paper napkin on a firm surface, so that the pill does'nt fly around, but at the same time, is fixed at a spot, take a small pocketknife, penknife and cut into 4 parts. I did that with a propecia tablet and the waste was minimal at most ~10% of the overall tablet.That too, because I was worried the pill would go flying - it didnt.

Edited by Akash