What's REALLY realistic about regrowth patterns??

I don't want to start an inflammatory thread. But I do want to talk about a somewhat sensitive subject.

I been on forums off an on for 5 years and I've looked at a lot of threads, a lot of pictures and a lot of testimonials, both good and bad. (I must say, this site does a great job getting people to inventory and blog their HT experiences.

But having had a HT myself 3 1/2 months ago, I have spent even more time recently looking at blogs, pictures and threads. But this time I really focused in on regrowth patterns after HTs. Now, some surgeons/surgerys are better than others, of course. But what I am seeing doesn't really have to do with that. I'm talking about regrowth trends that seem to fly in the face of some of common assumptions made about hair regrowth.

The following example is one trend I see. Please tell me if I am wrong. Of course there is the odd exception or two to every trend, but this trend seems pretty dominant:

Recipient graft growth happens earlier for some and later for others. But when it happens, there tends to be an initial burst of grafts that come through. The grafts that come through in this initial growth phase are A LARGE MAJORITY of what that person will ever grow.

So if that initial burst is in month 3, it will probably last a month or two until month 4-5. At that point, while one can expect some new follicles to grow in the months to come, most came in with the initial burst of graft growth.

Likewise, if significant growth starts at month 5, most of the grafts will come in that initial burst and by month 7 what is going to grow is mostly there already.

Am I wrong about this? Because when I look at pictures/blogs, there seems to always be a month or two where the hair grows in strong and then, while there is "thickening" of grafts in the following months, there most often does not appear to be a lot more graft growth.

If I take myself for instance, I had a lot of growth early, starting at month 2 and now at month 3 1/2 the new graft growth rate has slowed down greatly. My hairs have a lot of thickening to do. Some of them are only 25% of the thickness they will be at, even though some of them are almost an inch long. So when they thicken to full size, that will be a 400% upgrade in density appearance, even without any new growth.

So, based on the vast majority of pictures I am seeing, I don't think it is reasonable to expect much more new graft growth for me. Now, I know some might say that's "crazy", but realistically, is it? I mean, if I get 10% more graft growth over the next 8-9 months and the 400% thickening, then it will "appear" as a big difference. But in actuality, most of my grafts have already arrived.

I think this also explains that while I hear "give it 18 months", hardly anyone out there looks any different after they pass 12 months, and most people dont look much different after the go past 8-10 months.

I know this flies in the face of what many say on this forum, but when you look at the trends, these seem to be pretty darn consistent.

Windjc, Good Post! I agree with you on this. I guess growth varies from person to person, however I do notice the same trend and pattern. I'm at 9 months from my HT and there hasn't been much more growth but there has been a difference in appearance. The only thing I'm counting on is that my HT was to my crown and from what I'm reading this generally takes a bit longer to fill in or grow. Other than that I find those who have good growth and coverage early generally go on to have a better looking HT

Just my opinion......but I don't think I'm too far off!

MarkyMark

There are some general timetables that are referenced every so often, but I think the prevailing attitude on the forum is that attempting to define a universal schedule for growth is ultimately an exercise in futility.

Everyone grows differently, so basing individual expectations on others' experiences will probably only serve to further stress out recovering patients. People will also fail to appreciate the subtle changes that are gradually occurring when they're monitoring their progress that closely/regularly, which is why doctors usually assess results at around 12 months, not because there is anything really relevant happening growth-wise at that point. I don't think anyone expects profound changes past the one year mark, only the possibility of additional hair maturation.

It's interesting to follow, but I don't think most people on the forum heavily promote one calendar over the other. What you've outlined is definitely accurate for many patients, though. Others may experience several growth spurts before sprouting the majority of their new hairs. The idea is to not obsess over it, which can be tough.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

For HTs involving the frontal third, I've reached much the same conclusion. There is a 2 month spell (usually months 4 and 5) where most growth happens.

However, I think the thickening phase is very significant so shouldn't be overlooked.

I spend most time looking at blogs of Rahal patients and to be honest most don't look much different after the 6 month point.

windjc,

I generally think you are correct, although your timelines are delayed quite a bit.

Hair actually comes in quite a bit earlier, but isnt visible in photos until AT LEAST 2 months later where it will only be one inch long. When the hair is 2+ inches long is where it really starts to layer upon itself and add up, thus why in later months you really see a difference.

You will see fine vellus hairs growing from as early as 7 weeks. The burst usually happens around month 3-4 and is finished by month 5-6. You dont really see the result until it is grown out at month 9+.

There is probably another 10-20% of stragglers that pop in the 7-8 month time frame that arent visible until months 12+

Most of the hairs have popped by month 6.

Originally posted by TheEmperor:

windjc,

I generally think you are correct, although your timelines are delayed quite a bit.

Hair actually comes in quite a bit earlier, but isnt visible in photos until AT LEAST 2 months later where it will only be one inch long. When the hair is 2+ inches long is where it really starts to layer upon itself and add up, thus why in later months you really see a difference.

You will see fine vellus hairs growing from as early as 7 weeks. The burst usually happens around month 3-4 and is finished by month 5-6. You dont really see the result until it is grown out at month 9+.

There is probably another 10-20% of stragglers that pop in the 7-8 month time frame that arent visible until months 12+

Most of the hairs have popped by month 6.

No that is actually exactly the timeline I lined out. In fact, that is exactly what happened to me, but earlier. My "burst" came at week 7-8. It takes 4 months to grow two inches, so the "layering" is happening right now. But the layering is accompanied by thickening of the hair shaft follicles. For me, I suspect that will all happen BEFORE month 9.

I suggested that for others it would all being a few months later, which would but them more in your month 9 timeframe.

But, IN ANY CASE, I am pleasantly surprised to see that the responses on here agree. My goal is not to discourage anyone, as there are certainly exceptions, but it seems there are clear trends.