Getting pre-op blood tests etc in UK

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here so I hope this will make sense. I'm just about to reserve a booking with Dr Rahal, and I've been sent various documents including one that I need to give to my family doctor (for getting blood tests and the like).

For anyone else who's in the UK, how did your doctor react when you said you were going for a HT? Will the NHS actually be willing to pay for all of these tests or is it necessary to go private? How long did it take before the tests were carried out, and then the results obtained? I'm hoping the doctor can just take some blood samples in the surgery without making too much fuss or requiring lengthy delays.

I actually feel a bit awkward about even letting my GP know that I'm planning to go through with this. I kind of hoped I could slope off to Canada for 3 weeks, recuperate for a bit, then wait for the results.

To add another factor into the mix, I'm planning to move abroad to another country very soon, so I don't even know what reaction I'll get from the doctors there. I'd probably be best to get the tests done in the UK before I go I guess.

Any information you have will be gratefully received.

Hi SG,

My Doctor was fine when I told him I was going for a HT. He didn't know much about them and asked me how they were done.

There was no charge for the tests. He gave me a slip with what tests needed to be done and I went to my local Hospital. I went back to my Doctor the next week for the results, which they printed out and gave me a copy. I then scanned and emailed them to Adrian.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions just ask.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I did consider just going to the GUM clinic, but there are a number of tests that aren't for STDs so I wasn't sure the GUM clinic would do them.

Anyway, I went to see my doctor today and told him what I was planning to do.

He seemed a bit unhappy about the idea in general, and felt that it should be up to the HT clinic to do the necessary blood tests etc.

In the end he said he would do the required examination and tests but it would cost 100 pounds (a figure that was pretty much plucked from the air, but included the cost of the medical examination).

I guess if I'm going to spent 7000 on flights, surgery and hotel then an etc 100 is a small price to pay.

Originally posted by ScottishGuy:

He seemed a bit unhappy about the idea in general, and felt that it should be up to the HT clinic to do the necessary blood tests etc.

I think UK NHS Doctors have an administration problem with charging for tests, this may explain his reluctance. Mine "forgot" to charge me despite me reminding him some time later.

Best wishes for your procedure, you have choosen a great Dr - having a HT was one of my best decisions.

Tubs

=======================

3,500 grafts - Dr Feller - 08/08/08