Are transected/damaged hairs discarded or implanted?

In researching FUE v. FUT, I've noted that the transection rate is higher with FUE. My question is whether the transected hairs are discarded or implanted into the recipient zone - that is - does the doctor notice that the hair is transected before implanting and therefore throw it out? Or is the doctor unaware of which hairs and transected, implant all hairs into the receipient area, and then the transected hairs do not grow?

Put another way, if 2000 grafts are harvested and 100 of those are transected - are only the 1900 healthy grafts implanted? Or are all 2000 implanted and only 1900 of those 2000 grow?

thanks!

Hi Huangdong77,

Using Dr Harris' SAFE System ("an advanced method of follicular unit extraction"), the transection rate would be much lower than what was used as an example above.

We check all FUE grafts under the microscope before being placed into the recipient area. Only viable hairs are transplanted.

If a hair is transected below the bulge region of the hair follicle, we believe that it should be removed from the graft as it can't keep producing new hairs and can increase the risk of pimple formation.

I hope this helps.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Good question. It depends on what type of procedure is being performed and how the physician has instructed his technicians to handle this situation. In my clinic I instruct the staff to discard only those follicles that have clearly been damaged, which is generally very few, and place all follicle that appear to be intact. Often follicles that are thought to be not worthy of placing into the recipient sites will still generate hairs. Follicles are very resilient.

Good question. It depends on what type of procedure is being performed and how the physician has instructed his technicians to handle this situation. In my clinic I instruct the staff to discard only those follicles that have clearly been damaged, which is generally very few, and place all follicle that appear to be intact. Often follicles that are thought to be not worthy of placing into the recipient sites will still generate hairs. Follicles are very resilient.

i understand that you are talking about the fue procedure. in your experience, what is the average percentage of transected grafts that you have during your sugeries?

Hi Huangdong77,

Using Dr Harris' SAFE System ("an advanced method of follicular unit extraction"), the transection rate would be much lower than what was used as an example above.

We check all FUE grafts under the microscope before being placed into the recipient area. Only viable hairs are transplanted.

If a hair is transected below the bulge region of the hair follicle, we believe that it should be removed from the graft as it can't keep producing new hairs and can increase the risk of pimple formation.

I hope this helps.

louise, the same question goes for you: what is the average of transected grafts (in percentage) that you have in your surgeries?

Hello Happy,

FUT has reliably low transection rates. Including strip removal and

microscopic dissection the transection rate is less than 2-3%.

The transection rates for FUE vary from patient to patient and get lower

with more experience. Dr. Simmons does a maximum of 1000 FU extractions per

day because he has to work slowly to get good grafts. He pretty much only

uses Dr. Harris' Safe System because so far it is the only method that he

feels gets reliable low transection rates in his hands. He has not tried

powered FUE yet. In our first all-FUE case in 2007 of a whopping 357 grafts,

our patient had splayed follicular units, tough skin, tethered grafts, and a

transection rate of about 33%. (He was almost our last case!) In our last

FUE case, 2 weeks ago, there were 45 transected hairs in 803 grafts (2.5%)

BUT she was a Chinese lady with straight, coarse hair and fantastic skin. I

check the grafts under the microscope and in our last cases, the transection

rates have all been 5% or less

Dr. Simmons does not do a lot of FUE because he thinks that, at least right

now, FUT is more reliable and less expensive for patients. For people with a

lot of ground to cover, FUT makes a lot more sense. He has learned FUE

because there are some situations where it is a good option. His main focus

is on doing the best quality FUT he can but he wants to be good enough at

FUE that he can do it when appropriate.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians