How effective are scalp laxity exercises?

I consulted with a very highly regarded HT doctor, and he told me my scalp was on the tight side and recommended I begin scalp laxity exercises if I were interested in a transplant. At the same time I consulted with a different HT doctor, who told me that my scalp was of about average laxity and said that he had not seen any convincing evidence that scalp laxity exercises were helpful.

So, is there any consensus on whether scalp laxity exercises really are effective for the average prospective HT patient? If they are, can they also help with relieving the feeling of scalp tightness after a HT, or are they only useful prior to an HT?

I am sure that they are helpful. If I note at the consultation that the patient is tight, and they exercise as I instruct, so far it has always resulted in a scalp that was easier to close than I initially worried.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...

Hi there online inquirer,

My assessment is that both doctors may have been right based on their own manual examination scale used. Scalp exercises have had a large matter of controversy surrounding them for years amongst hair transplant surgeons and thus have resulted in many different opinions on the matter. To answer to the qeustion that whether or not scalp exercise is really work, Dr. Rassman and I published the first metric system to accurately measure the laxity of a person's scalp without the need to guess or rely on physician's personal experience and method of measuring to do so and that was through the Laxometer.

I had invented the Laxometer about 3 years ago and following its recognition we conducted a first time study to determine whether or not measuring scalp laxity really works and could have true value before hair transplantation. The resutl of this study was later published as a cover article in the "Hair Transplant Forum International" about 2 years ago. Here is a link to the article: http://ushairrestoration.com/mohebi-laxometer-scalp-laxity-article.pdf

I urge you to read this article and see exactly how scalp exercise have been proven to help with the laxity of scalps before hair transplants.

We do recommend scalp exercises in our practice to the majority of people who need a hair transplantation through strip method. Those who are recommended to do so are not only the ones that have tight scalp, but also those who have average or even loose scalps but need a large number of grafts to acheive their desired results.

Parsa Mohebi, M.D.

Medical Director of

Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration

Dr. Parsa Mohebi is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network