One month out and paranoid

So I'm approximately one month post-op and I'm getting kind of nervous because I haven't really shed a lot of the transplanted hairs. I definitely have some shock loss. When I touch the top of my head it still feels like I have a buzz cut. My hair is blond and it's really hard to tell how much was lost. I definitely had some shedding because where I was really bald on the sides of my forelock, there's not a whole lot of transplanted hairs left. But I know most shedding is supposed to occur between 2 and 4 weeks, which was not the case with me. I really can't tell if the hairs have grown because most of it is mixed in with my native hair. I also haven't had my hair this long in forever so between being blond and having the longer hair, plus not exactly remembering how long the hairs were to begin with is making it impossible for me to tell. There are definitely some that are longer than others so I assume this means that those hair grew a little.

Anyway, is this totally abnormal? When should I really start worrying that something is wrong? I'm guessing that everyone is slightly different but what's the maximum time for shedding?

I'm tired of looking in the mirror ten times a day and obsessing over it. LOL. I know I'm being slightly paranoid, but still....

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out...

Ken

teach77

Hey,

Yeah it's ok I went through the same thing, and asked a similar question on here. At 2 months I still had about 100 grafts on each side of my head that hadn't shed. I only noticed 4-5 shed for the next month then the rest just started growing in the burst at around 3.5 months.

Hi Ken, relax....... none of what you are describing sounds abnormal, most hairs shed but not everyone of them, if you have existing hair where the grafts were placed then it is really difficult to work out which ones have shed and which are your original hairs growing back, temporary shockloss can occur but the best advise is not to obsess over it as it won't make it grow any quicker or make the result any better, the stress will just make you feel worse.

Rest up and grow well.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks so much to both of you! I figured I was just being paranoid, but needed some confirmation.

I have WAY too much time to think since I'm a teacher on summer break. After next week, when the mad rush to get set up and started happens, I won't have a second to think about it, which will be great! Ha!

Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 7 weeks out of HT and I have some hairs that are growing like crazy. Some of the grafts have grown out over 1/4" while some fell out and some are just sitting there about the same as they were when they were installed.

I guess this is just all part of the process. My native hair feels as though it has gotten thinner, shock loss?

waveskier,

Thanks for the reply...now I'm between 6 and 7 weeks myself and I have the same situation...A lot of the ones that are left have really started to grow, and a few haven't. But I can definitely tell that a bunch have grown out.

I had a lot of shock loss in the back....having trouble really telling with the front, but I know I was shedding a lot the first two weeks after surgery which was also about a month and half into using propecia, so who knows?

Good luck with your growth!!