Raised white follicle-looking spots after 1 week

Immediately after surgery, doc said my skin was tight and it kept pushing newly inserted follicles out. When I left, I had all these white, cylinder shaped spots sticking out of my head. Those were the follicles. He said to relax at home and they will pull back in. By morning, they had in fact pulled back in.

1 week later, I cut grass with no strain (did not want to break the exercise rule) but I did sweat alot. I live in a humid climate. When I got back in and showered, I noticed the same white follicle type spots. Did my sweat push them out or is this part of the process? Many of them appeared to go back in after relaxing but I'm sure the shower took some of them.

By the way.... this day was the 1st day to rub conditioner on the grafts to loosen the scabs and rinse under light stream as per instructions.

Very nervous

Edited by freetj98
title specifics

I would have thought that after 7 days that they would have been anchored in??

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Freetj98,

Most experts agree that newly implanted grafts are anchored between days 7 and 10 (with most stating the grafts are secure by day 7). Because of this, I would assume you are probably okay at this point and not at a high risk for losing any of the implanted follicles. I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I grabbed one with tweezers (this happened yesterday) and it was identical to the graft the technician showed me before she inserted it. I had about 4 completely loose after the shower. Not sure how many were loose before I showered. The rest were still inserted, just sticking way out of my scalp. It looked like maybe 50. Unless the follicle grows in length from the time its inserted and what I pulled out was only half of that, I assume they are lost.

Today, I have white, dead looking skin on just about all the grafts that are within my existing hair. I hope at least that is normal. My theory: sweat travels through hair follicles as well and if these were not fully functioning follicles then they acted as plugs and the sweat forced them out.

Please, somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Having white dead looking skin happened with me following both of my procedures, and were most visible following a bath or shower. Totally normal.

At any time, did you see any recipient sites that looked like they were missing a graft? I suppose it may have been too difficult to tell with the crusting and existing hair though...

I am pretty sure I had two grafts come out following my second surgery. Both occurred after having had a shower and I could see the hair with a surrounding "plug" of tissue. While I was not concerned about two, I would imagine that any more than that would have caused me some distress. Have you seen your surgeon since your surgery? Could he/she perhaps verify your situation?

Freetj98,

I think Goldilocks brings up a valid point - you may want to consider contacting the clinic that did your surgery and try to speak with the surgeon. Hopefully, he or she can analyze the situation and offer accurate and helpful advice. Please, keep us updated on your situation!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.