Is shockloss immediately after HT possible?

I've had my second HT on June 29th, 17 days ago. Since I first wash my head after the surgery my hair is falling a lot and never stops. I've been reading everything about shockloss but could never found something related to the topic. Should this be shockloss? People says shock loss begins after 15 days to a month after a HT. If it is could it be a permanent shock loss? When will this thing stop? my doctor said in one month but i would like other opinions.

Thanks

Hey guys try to help me here, please!

I know I'm very anxious and I apologize for bumping the thread.

All responses I got up to now are 2 weird private messages from 2 ladies that have sent me their emails adresses and want to know me better. What the hell is that? :confused: I don't think that they felt in love with me because they have seen my forehead, lol.

I found this thread and brought it back:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/156075-understanding-shock-loss-definitions-2.html

I think this is my case, but not quite sure since my hair felt a lot in the first washing but keeps on falling a lot of but very much lesser than in the first washing:

Dr. Ricardo Mejia explaining shock loss cases:

2. Iatrogenic or Doctor induced during hair transplant surgery via transection of the hair shaft during creation of the recipient sites. This is surgical trauma. In this case the hair shaft will fall out immediately in some cases or as early as a month after surgery. It is possible if the hair shaft is cut, the hair follicle will continue to grow in anagen phase without being shifted into a telogen stage. Consequently not all hairs that are surgically traumatized go into telogen. However, patients will lose hair and can look thinner after surgery. Obviously this is of most concern in men and women who have hair and we are transplanting around existing native hairs or repeat transplant procedures. This type of shock loss is not permanent.

Then Bill repplied:

I am also not convinced that "permanent" shock loss can't occur from transection of the hair follicle. I think if any follicle is damaged enough, it will not grow back.

Two respectable opinions and I don't know what to think. I have different opinions in Brazil also: my doctor says this shed will stop in a month more or less but my dermatologist said the hair I lost is probably gone forever. That's why I"m so confused.

My avatar is a picture of my hair 20 days before the second HT. Now I have lesser hair than in the picture.

Edited by Floyd77

Floyd,

The first couple of months after a hair transplant is difficult because in many cases, patients look worse before they look better. You could very well be experiencing temporary shock loss. Permanent shock loss typically only occurs to miniaturizing hair that wasn't strong enough to withstand the trauma to the scalp. Follicle transection can occur however, its rare in the hands of an experienced surgeon. I'm not familiar with your physician however, I wouldn't spend your time worrying so early on. If you take a look at my photos (the link to my website and photos can be found in my signature), you'll see I went through phases of looking worse before I looked better. This is very typical.

Feel free to create your own patient website and/or hair loss blog to chart your progress with us.

Hang in there!

Bill

Thanks for your respoinse Bill.

The doc has lots of experience in hair transplant and I suppose he's updated about new technics also. But if he had made some shit in my head I think he wouldn't tell me and that's why I'm here to learn more about HT and its consequences.

As you, I have irritation in my scalp if I try to use Minoxidil. Weird is the fact that I had been using it for 3 years but since February 2010 I had to quit it. I got a serious dermatitis and give its usage a break. After almost a month and a half later, when dermatitis had decreased, I used Minoxidil for just one day and the dermatitis caught me immediately. I have tried to use Minoxidil 4 times after this, the last was last week after the second HT and guess what? No way to use it man. I got my scalp irritated again. I oredered Foam from US but up to the time it arrive in my country I'll use a manipulated formula of Minoxidil without Propylene glycol.