can you take anti-depressants/anxiety medication with propecia?

jspence09

I feel like propecia is giving me depression, anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder type feelings/thoughts/etc.

I wonder if it is chemically inbalancing my brain somehow?

Could I take medication for depression/anxiety/ocd ALONG WITH propecia? B/c the propecia (or rogaine?) seems to be working on my hair but I'm not liking the mood swings, anxiety, etc so can I combine the two and let my problems be solved?

I'm going crazy! Help?!

--jspence :D

A study conducted by the Institute of Endocrinology in Prague, Czech Republic showed that,

"In the course of finasteride treatment the decrease of the concentration of circulating steroids with known inhibitory activity on GABA-ergic excitation in the brain is very probably an important factors contributing to the development of the symptoms of depression seen in some isolated cases of finasteride administration."

So, you may be correct in your assumptions.

I am not a medical professional but I have heard of patients taking finasteride while also on antidepressants.

Be sure to inform your doctor of all prescription medications you are taking when seeking to use a new medication.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Interesting.

Well its obvious that its working for my hair (even after 2 months) but I'm scared of how its making me thing/feel. Plus I don't like the whole concept of having ED at 19. That won't work. But I need the hair if I want to pursue the industry I want to pursue.

So if only the therapist could give me some depression/anxiety/ocd medication that balances my brain back to normal after propecia screws it up. I'm in such a jam. Its also a plus that I have no insurance and I get paid $7.45/hour! So all this mess is killing my check every week! Ugh!

Hi Jspence

I think you need to relax and just take a back seat for a while...you went and saw the urologist rite? What did he say?

I dont think it is rational to take antidepressants all your life along with propecia..please do me a favour and try hitting the gym if you havent already..that might do the trick for you and help you in your acting career as well. It helped me reduce all this anxiety attacks....Reduce the propecia dosage simultaneously and see how it goes..what is your norwood level at this stage?

I used to workout all the time, but now that I have to buy my propecia, I no longer have money for my gym contract (it ended in april)

I don't want to take antidepressants/anxiety/ocd meds for life, just take it long enough to balance my brain chemicals back to normal.

I don't know what norwood scale I am? And I don't even know what a uriologist is? I went and saw a dermatologist and that's how I got the propecia.

J spence

Urologist is a doctor whom you need to see for ED issues....i highly recommend to commence workouts....a lot of people on this forum take proscar and seem happy about it...it is cheaper than propecia but is 5mg of finasteride....you would need to cut it to get the correct dosage..or you can also go for propecia EOD...resume your workouts and i am sure that will have a positive effect for you...i would try to avoid antidepressants etc for now and wait for a couple of months..once you get on these meds, it might be hard to get out of them

Good luck dude

Taking anti depressants may be counterproductive. Most have hair loss as a known side effect :( My female cousin, who is 32, starting thinning very noticeably after starting Cymbalta. She even has a spot on her crown the size of a 50 cent piece that is completely slick.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

i'm on suboxone, toprol, zoloft, strattera, along with propecia, granted i've only been on propecia a little more than a week, i feel fine

Did you notice any change in hair loss with the Strattera and Zoloft? Hopefully it won't bother you. It is a rare side effect, but it is listed.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Taking anti depressants may be counterproductive. Most have hair loss as a known side effect :( My female cousin, who is 32, starting thinning very noticeably after starting Cymbalta. She even has a spot on her crown the size of a 50 cent piece that is completely slick.

I wonder if that's what contributed to my hairloss? I was on trazadone (spelling?) for some of my 9th grade year....then off of it the following summer. Back on it my 10th grade year...off of it the following summer. Took it for the first 6 months of my junior year (and then stopped taking it completely)

The reason I took it only during the school year is b/c mom and the doctors had me convinced it was sleeping medication. (I would only take it at night, as 2 pills wold put me to sleep in 15 mins.)

I stopped taking it after January my junior year in high school... didn't take it senior year (I don't recall?) And now I'm going onto my sophomore year in college. (Dealing with all these hair issues, mental issues etc)

If the trazodone ruined my hair in the first place, I don't want to take it again! I'm so confused and ill! Its driving me mad.