Propecia and hair transplants... do both?

I'm really considering hair transplants and am in the Kansas City Missouri Area. Would love any recommendations of docs around here. Right now I'm considering Dr. Shapiro's in MN, but they're not too close.

My question is whether it's entirely necessary to take propecia along with hair transplants. I'd rather not have to use drugs for the rest of my life to maintain my hair. I'm concerned about short term side effects that are documented as well as potential long term side effects that are potentially unknown given the relatively short period of time that these drugs have been used on humans.

I'd love any input!

Thanks!

M2008,

While we do not currently recommend any hair transplant surgeons in Missouri, we do recommend physicians in Illinois. Additionally, Dr. Shapiro is a highly regarded hair restoration surgeon, and traveling a bit to seek his services will most likely be highly "worth it" in the long-run.

As far as Propecia in adjunct with hair transplants, it depends on your goals, but using both therapies is probably a good idea. The fact of the matter is that while transplanted follicular units are removed from an area of the scalp that is resistant to future loss, the rest of your hair is not. This means that if you want to maintain your native hair and prevent future loss (of non-transplanted hairs), you should look into some sort of preventive treatment, like Propecia. You could also discuss these issues and concerns with your hair transplant surgeon during your initial consultation. This should really help smooth out the situation. I hope this helps. Feel free to post any further questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You can't go wrong taking Propecia. It helps maintain what you've got, and helps prevent shockloss after the transplant. Good luck! :cool:

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D