got very drunk and redness came back strong

My redness was almost unnoticeable and then i visited some college buddies, they suspected nothing and by 3 am blackout wasted one of them goes what's that line on your head? i immediately leave and pass out... now its very noticeable and it sucks...

has this happened to anyone? how long does it take to go away?

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
removed profanity

Jbbreese,

Most clinics recommend not consuming alcohol up to 48 hours after the procedure, but I haven't heard much outside of this data. Additionally, I have a few friends who become very flushed (facial redness) when they consume alcohol, and I suppose something like this may have occurred and made the transplanted area more noticeable. Maybe other members, who have experienced this phenomenon, will chime in.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Not sure how long ago you had the procedure but I had one done 8 months ago and it took months for it to go away completely. It stopped being noticeable after I believe 2-3 months but I also had native hair to mask it.

Odd thing is that after a hot shower and/or combing in the recipient area it will still become red for a brief period as I assume more blood is able to reach that area somehow when stressed. I haven't noticed any effects after drinking and I do turn red when I drink.

It makes me wonder if having a HT in an area with a lot of native hair makes shedding/miniaturization in those areas accelerate. I'm also concerned that the area will become even more noticeable if I have a second HT in the same area like I plan to do.

Absolutely this does occur, and its hard to predict how long it can last. Fortunately, it is often concealed by other hair and is only noticed occasionally.

This also occurs with other surgeries. I vividly recall 2 different patients calling me back in 1996, my first year out, about 3 weeks after getting their eyes done and a chemical peel. One reported that the area treated got red after drinking at a bar and engaging in amorous activities and the other was at aerobics class and got very red eyelids...

The common element was vasodilation or opening of the blood vessels in the treated areas from activity and this can be enhanced by alcohol.

I now tell all eyelid patients about this, and haven't gotten a call since.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians