Hair Loss But Not On Head

This has to do with hair loss but not on the head. I recently noticed (it may have been this way for a long time) that the hair on the outside of my legs just above the ankles is smooth bald with no hair while the rest of my legs are very hairy. I got online trying to figure out what the cause of this could be and was surprised to discover a lot of guys posting this very same question. I saw answers including everything from decreased circulation to wearing tight socks, to a form of male pattern baldness on the legs. Does anyone else have this problem and have any clue what causes it? I know it isn’t socks because I have hair in an area that my socks cover and we all know tight hats don’t cause baldness. Thanks!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Hey Time to do something,

Here in the UK we have a TV show called Quite Interesting (QI), it's sort of a comedy/educational show. I remember an episode a while back in which they were discussing hair growth, and the same thing you are wondering came up. It turns out that hair loss in that area is extremely common as men age, I can't remember if they gave a reason for the loss but there is a presenter and 4 guests all of which checked their legs and all noted loss in the area above the ankle.

Time to do something,

You're right, this is a commonly discussed problem on the internet. However, it seems much more difficult to find answers. From my research, it seems as if there are two schools of thought: 1. a type of hormonal/genetic hair loss in middle aged men (35 years and over) or 2. a type of traction alopecia (hair loss from pulling or tension on the hairs) from wearing tight socks and continually crossing one's legs. Either way, it appears as if most experts don't suggest any oral or topical medications for the issue, though switching to low-cut socks may help if the ankle hair loss is caused by traction-alopecia.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey Time to do something,

Here in the UK we have a TV show called Quite Interesting (QI), it's sort of a comedy/educational show. I remember an episode a while back in which they were discussing hair growth, and the same thing you are wondering came up. It turns out that hair loss in that area is extremely common as men age, I can't remember if they gave a reason for the loss but there is a presenter and 4 guests all of which checked their legs and all noted loss in the area above the ankle.

Fascinating. Did they say what in the aging process causes lower extremity hair loss? Just one more lovely thing one goes through as they get older. LOL

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time to do something,

You're right, this is a commonly discussed problem on the internet. However, it seems much more difficult to find answers. From my research, it seems as if there are two schools of thought: 1. a type of hormonal/genetic hair loss in middle aged men (35 years and over) or 2. a type of traction alopecia (hair loss from pulling or tension on the hairs) from wearing tight socks and continually crossing one's legs. Either way, it appears as if most experts don't suggest any oral or topical medications for the issue, though switching to low-cut socks may help if the ankle hair loss is caused by traction-alopecia.

Thanks for that information. I’m inclined to believe mine is not from traction alopecia because it is only on one side of my leg. The inside of my leg has hair on it near the ankle which is also covered by my socks. It must be a genetic or hormonal issue. I read where men can have genetic hair loss on their legs just like MPB on their head. I’ve learned something today. On me it is not noticeable because I have light colored hair and even if it were noticeable I wouldn’t care because it doesn’t bother me. I was more concerned it might be from a health condition like poor circulation. Hair on the head is a different story though without that I feel naked.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

This "Hair Loss" Question was moved but I'm not sure where it was moved to.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts