How many grafts needed

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. Can you help me in estimating the no of grafts need to cover up?

I am 26 years old from south India, and currently not taking any medicines for hair fall. Am I a right candidate for Hair Transplant?

Image0212.jpg.70ec98d8e23a444b9498789bc7ab7966.jpg

Image0213.jpg.5e59c848dd24d0ef9474445b90e5846e.jpg

Raj1,

Thank you for including some helpful information with your question. However, I think in order to properly "estimate" the required number of follicular unit grafts, the community needs more details regarding your goals. Do you want to try and fill in the entire balding area? Just the frontal 1/3? Are you content to leave your crown uncovered? Would you be willing to try oral or topical medications as well? Thank you. I recommend also doing some personal research on the forums - review cases in the Results Posted By Leading Clinics section, research recommended physicians using the search function, and continue asking insightful questions. Good luck, and hopefully by answering a few of the above questions the community can provide some graft estimates.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Raj1,

Welcome to our community. In India, I highly suggest considering and consulting with Dr. Madhu, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

Also, you may want to use our free graft calculator to provide an estimate on how many follicular units you may need to meet your hair restoration goals. While this tool cannot replace an actual estimate provided by a qualified hair restoration physician, it can give you a ballpark figure.

All the best in restoring your hair,

Bill Seemiller

Raj1,

Thank you for including some helpful information with your question. However, I think in order to properly "estimate" the required number of follicular unit grafts, the community needs more details regarding your goals. Do you want to try and fill in the entire balding area? Just the frontal 1/3? Are you content to leave your crown uncovered? Would you be willing to try oral or topical medications as well? Thank you. I recommend also doing some personal research on the forums - review cases in the Results Posted By Leading Clinics section, research recommended physicians using the search function, and continue asking insightful questions. Good luck, and hopefully by answering a few of the above questions the community can provide some graft estimates.

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to fill the entire balding area (not full density, can cover up with existing hairs)

I am not interested in taking oral pills but can try out topical medications.

I have also tried out the animated graft calculator in this site. To my estimate it comes around 3500 grafts. Is that enough?

I feel that, hair loss has been lot stabilized for me now. So still I need to take oral pills after HT?

Please let me know your opinion on this.

Thanks.

Raj1,

In my opinion, to cover the entire balding area (with an acceptable density) you would require more than 3,500 grafts. Additionally, if you are open to topical medications, I suggest trying Rogaine (minoxidil). I think you should look into consulting with one of our recommended hair restoration physicians. Furthermore, I think you should research some of the large restoration cases presented on the forums (such as those from Hasson and Wong). I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

From the photos I see, at 26, with the advance of your overall loss, getting a HT without finding out if Propecia/Dutasteride can help you would be a huge mistake, imho.

You need at least a year on meds to determine if you are a candidate....also be wary of any HT docs willing to go forward without meds... as many are more than happy to slap a few grafts on your head without worrying about your future.

Take some time...RESEARCH....and buzz that head of yours down..it's freedom mate.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.