Strip scars, different surgeon, different width?

Hi everyone :D

Just a quick question i have, do you think different surgeons produce different results in terms of width of strip scar? If so you guys know the best docs for the thinnest strip scars? Im thinking of a HT with H&W but seen a couple of posts saying there scars are a bit wider then expected from there? Although i may have just seen a couple of unlucky ones im not implying they generelly do wide scars, they do some great work hence me thinking of going there! Il be uploading some photo's soon (as soon as my sister decides to give me my digi cam back lol) im 22 nearly 23 so im sure you guys will have some great advice for me :D cheers!

Fightingbaldness,

Welcome to our hair loss forum and social community.

The width of the donor scar will vary. Typically, larger sessions produce wider strips to maximize donor in a single session. Some physicians also feel more comfortable taking a wider strip than a longer one and vice versa. But ultimately, the position, length and width of the scar should be discussed with your physician beforehand since it's important that the patient is comfortable with the positionof the scar. Regarding the width of the actual scar however, ideally, it will be pencil thin given the latest closure techniques used by the majority of quality hair surgeons. However, the actual width of the mature scar will depend on the techniques used and a patient's healing characteristics.

Regarding Hasson and Wong, they do sometimes take wider strips however, that doesn't mean they produce wider scars. After closure, the wound is sealed and the scar should be minimimal in appearance.

I hope this helps :)

Bill Seemiller

Scar tissue formation is very strongly influenced by the amount of tension necessary to approximate the wound edges. The tightness of the scalp, the width of the strip, and the presence of prior scar tissue all play a role in how much tension there will be when attempting to close the donor wound. The suturing technique used also is a key factor in donor scar width. Two layer and trichophytic closures generally leave smaller scares.

Dr. Charles is right on the mark. A 2 layer tricho closure is the best way to get a good scar.

I personally favor long skinny strips, which limits pull on the scalp edges; and for folks with tight scalps...scalp stretching exercises a minute before each meal in the weeks leading up to surgery.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians