Conventional V. Laser

I had a laser transplant in 1998 when I was 21 for the frontal line, as I had a full head of hair except for a receding hair line. Turned out great and I held on to most of my hair until now while using rogaine, procecia (switched to liquid avodart about 3 years ago) and about six months ago got a hairmax - Actually worked to an extent.

I am going back to my old clinic to have the rest done. They only use a CO2 laser and the laser that they used 11 years ago went well, but that was 300 hairs and now we are looking at about 2500.

I am sure that technology has changed in the conventional HT world in the last 10 years. Can someone please give me some real and honest pros and cons to laser and conventional? Thanks for your help!

I had a laser transplant in 1998 when I was 21 for the frontal line, as I had a full head of hair except for a receding hair line. Turned out great and I held on to most of my hair until now while using rogaine, procecia (switched to liquid avodart about 3 years ago) and about six months ago got a hairmax - Actually worked to an extent.

I am going back to my old clinic to have the rest done. They only use a CO2 laser and the laser that they used 11 years ago went well, but that was 300 hairs and now we are looking at about 2500.

I am sure that technology has changed in the conventional HT world in the last 10 years. Can someone please give me some real and honest pros and cons to laser and conventional? Thanks for your help!

Not heard to much about the laser, not heard about any of the top docs using it, so it's probably not as good as the current methods they use.

Do more research, this site has vast amounts of info to peruse

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

From what I have understood is that when receipient sights are made with a blade or needle,there is no actualskin being removed., sort of like cut to the finger with a razor, healing is quite speedy and almost no evidence of scar formation...Know, when skin is being "vaporized" via laser,the pigment in the skin is burnt away, along with the skin, sort of like a 3rd degree burn. Imagine 2500 holes like that in a small area, you could have significant scaring, dosn't mean you will, but IMHO, why risk it.

Just another thought from the peanut gallery....

Just want to add to Kaounis post.

In addition to problems of scarring, the burnt recipient will be less receptive the new grafts, and thus yield is significantly compromised.

That is why laser is now very rarely used, for world class doctors anyway. I would run away from that clinic.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Lasers looked very good when they came out and some doctors jumped on it at a very high cost. There are a few problems with lasers but they tend to be large problems so they are rarely used any more.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Can only be used in a bald area - if used where there is hair a possibility of killing the surrounding hairs. <LI>The laser "burns" a small hole in the tissue so it make a round burn hole and grafts are not always round, tend to be loose compared to a slit incision. <LI>The laser cauterizes the hole and that stops the much needed blood supply for healing and regrowth

I have not heard of any reputable doctor using a laser for years.

Good luck

I am a hair restoration client and have 10 years experience in the hair restoration industry, all my views are my own