Hair growing through trich closure

Hello all,

I had a scar revision with trich closure 2 months ago. Right now I see a definite pink strip about 8 to 10mm wide with no hair growing on it. Is this the actual scar?

Will hair grow on this and if so how long before it does? I've been trying to take some photos but it pretty hard to focus on the back of your head and move your hair around at the same timeicon_frown.gif

Hello all,

I had a scar revision with trich closure 2 months ago. Right now I see a definite pink strip about 8 to 10mm wide with no hair growing on it. Is this the actual scar?

Will hair grow on this and if so how long before it does? I've been trying to take some photos but it pretty hard to focus on the back of your head and move your hair around at the same timeicon_frown.gif

so I've managed to take a photo of the left hand side. You can see this pink strip which appears to have no hair and is shiny/smooth??

(the hair you see over the scar is from the hair around the bottom and top crossing over)

I see what you mean .That could be shockloss but does look like there is stretching. It could be a combination of both. How wide was your scar before revison and how was your laxity. Remember its still very early . Give it at least 6 months for any or all shockloss to return then youll be able to see exactly whats happening. Scar revisions dont always work . If you had a wide scar and a tight scalp before revision then it could easily stay the same or get worse ,especially if you tried to get alot of grafts instead of just scar tissue. Do you care to share you did the revision?

thanks for checking it out. I only too out 200 graft nd focused more on the revision. I have been trying really careful to not stretch it. However, 2 weeks ago (7 weeks after the op) I was sleeping on an inclined pillow and slipped down when I fell asleep which had caused my head to tilt. Not sure if this has caused the stretching?

Before the op I had a pretty bad scar. Not sure what size but maybe 5mm or more. (I not quite comfortable with sharing the doc's name at this stage yet...) How long do you think I need to wait before going for another revision?

You know you need to be careful because it could get worse each time . I would wait to see if thats stretching. If it is another revision probably wont do much. You need to go see your doctor and get his opinion or maybe contact another close by if your too far from your doc.

If you were layin gon your back and your head tilted backwards that wouldnt havestreched it ,only forward. You never said if your scalp was tight before surgery

Its pretty hard to look close but I don't think so. Its just a pink strip...

I never really wondered if my scalp was tight. I only found out about the scalp stretching through this forum this week...

jwaves,

Perhaps I am missing something, but where is the picture? If it is on another thread, I have yet to see it.

The area of pinkness around a scar is most likely not going to be the final width of the scar, though it is true a scar can stretch which is why it is extremely important to be extremely careful not to strain the area.

Best luck in your healing and new hair growth.

Bill

jwaves,

Oh ok. Well, it does appear that the pink area may indeed be the actual scar however, at 2 months, it's way too early to tell.

It already appears that you have some hair growing through the scar, and typically, it takes longer than 2 months for all of the hair to start growing through it.

All you can do at this point is wait it out and see how it heals. Be careful not to strain the area and give it proper time to heal. A scar doesn't fully mature for approximately 1 year, though you should have a good idea how the scar will heal by about 8 or 9 months.

Keep us posted,

Bill

It is normal to be concerned about your scar, everyone worries with good reason. In my experience of doing hair, plus around 2000 eyelid procedures, and around 2700 facelifts, almost all scars get worse for 6 weeks before improving. This means that they get pinker, and sometimes lumpier prior to resolving. However, it may be worth a trip back to your doctor to check, as the "golden" time for treating scar problems with cortisone shots is around 3 months. I am pretty aggressive with dilute steroid injections if there is any question and it often can "nip a small problem in the bud" and prevent a bigger issue.

William Lindsey MD, RESTON, VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians