hair transplant without propecia

jst

i'm wondering if anyone out there has gone through with a hair transplant without being on propecia. I've had trouble with side effects more than once (i've tried different dosage levels with no help) and i'm trying to evaluate my situation. any comments or advice by anyone who has gone through this process but done so without being on finesteride would be greatly appreciated.

some of us were just discussing this on another thread.

I haven't tried meds yet and was curious if I was a poor responder/suffered sides, precisely how risky of a proposition would a ht be?

I personally am not familiar with a case on this forum of someone who has had a ht and is NOT on meds.

I too would like an answer

So basically--- I don't know ANYTHING, CAN NOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION, AM LOOKING FOR THE SAME ANSWER,

BUT still wanted to respond to you.

sorry, Im not much help...

jst,

The simple answer is yes, you can get a hair transplant without being on any hair loss medication.

The purpose however, of hair loss medication is to help combat against future hair loss. Without it, the natural progression of male / female pattern baldness will continue to whatever genetics has dictated.

Not everyone will end up a full norwood 7 (the worst possible hair loss situation), in fact, only a small percentage does. However, hair loss is unpredictable and progressive. So if you are not going to work hair loss medication into your long term hair restoration goals, a hair transplant surgeon will often have to be a bit more conservative, keeping enough donor hair in reserve in the event of future hair loss.

Bill

thanks for the response Bill.

i know that you can get a ht without propecia, and i certainly know the benefits that can be reaped when ont he medication. But my reality is, i just cna't take it. it takes way too hard a toll on my libido and erectile function. i refuse to go back ot that. i'm using rogaine 5% 2x daily as i believe this is my only real option.

i am interested in just hearing about or seeing some guys who have had work done without being on the meds. any shockloss, advanced balding, etc.

• 1 year later...

Wow, this is an old thread but as you resurrected it I'll reply, haha.

Personally, If I had a fair amount of native hair, I wouldn't even consider a transplant until I was sure it had stabilised or the progression was extremely slow. If I was on the younger side, then even if my loss had stabilised without meds, I wouldn't have a transplant until I found a some form of treatment that I knew was benefical to me.

maxxy, i think hairloss does not stabilize and one is onclock as this is irreversible process (except ht). anyways, i have perfect growth or stabilization with propecia but unfortunately i have sides and i even had lab results ( sperm count) to back it up. long story short...i need alternative to finasteride. have u heard of crinagen? any good? or just another one on block.