Chicago Transplant

kevinj

Hey all....i've searched through the site pretty well and i've discovered something. No one here likes MHR ( which is what I think is Medical Hair Restoration) well, I have an appointment w/them this week. Can anyone give me a suggestion on who else to contact? Thanks all.

Hey all....i've searched through the site pretty well and i've discovered something. No one here likes MHR ( which is what I think is Medical Hair Restoration) well, I have an appointment w/them this week. Can anyone give me a suggestion on who else to contact? Thanks all.

There is a whole list of recommended doctors on the Hair Transplant Network site.

That is at http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/hair_transplant_surgeons/World.asp

I would suggest looking through those. They may cost a little bit more (although not much) and you may have to travel to get a great doctor, but it is all worth it. When you're changing something as critical as your appearance, you want to do it right. If people are complaining about MHR, there's a reason.

Personally, I travelled halfway across the country to go to one of the top surgeons. I am from Tulsa, OK and I had mine done in Tampa, FL. It was worth the extra money and hassle.

Tedd

Kevin. My advice is to skip that appointment. I live in Chicago, I had a consult with MHR. You can do better. I travelled to Arizona for my most recent surgery and I'm very pleased that I did. Even with travel costs, the surgery was cheaper than surgery with MHR. And, the results were far superior to what I would expect from MHR. If you read the posts on this site for a couple of months, you will get a clear idea of who the best surgeons are. There is no need to rush into action.

Paul

My surgery with Dr. Sharon Keene:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/paul148148/lst?&.dir=/Transplant+Photos&.src=ph&.view=t

I'm almost certain that at MHR you will spend most of your time talking to a non-medical salesman, not a doctor.

To me, that is a real turn-off.

You could still go to your appointment, just to see what they say. Go to any consultation with the sole intention of learning about the clinic. Make up your mind ahead of time not to get "sold" on anything until you've had time to meet other doctors, and think things over at home for a while. Go in to these consults with a certain amount of skepticism, too.

It helps a lot if you are up to speed on the better trechniques being used, BEFORE your consultations. For example, does the clinic use microscopes to dissect the grafts? Do they use only real FU grafts, or will they also mix in a lot of inferior-looking Minigrafts?

Also, ask each doctor to outline a long-term plan for you. Then compare these answers, and see which doctors are thinking of your long-term interests, and who just wants to get you to pay for a surgery ASAP.

Cool...thanks guys. I've got my appointment today in about 2hrs. Here's some questions i'm going to ask:

1. Is there a guarantee?

2. If nothing grows, will there be a refund or just more surgery (Kinda the same as # 1)

3. Do they use microscopes to dissect the grafts?

4. Do they use real FU grafts?

5. What is the experience of the doctor, and can I see multiply examples of his/her work?

6. What is the density I can expect from this surgery?

7. How long do I have to wait to go back to working out?

Those are a few...if you experienced guys can think of some more, or better ones please, let me know. This is probably one of MANY consultations. Although I don't wanna go bald for another summer. I WANT MY HAIR BACK!!!!

Kevin-

From everything I've researched - DO NOT go to the hair mills. There are only a handful of docs who can do a good job.

Please see my link below for pointers on how to choose the right guy.

If you want, do a search on this site for Bosley or MHR, etc. and you'll find 95% negative comments.

Click for - My Pix, and Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling, and healing.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/mentor/mentor_profile.asp?Mentor=Joecifus

Well, i went to MHR today....got in about 11 and out by 11:20. Not bad. Few things:

First off, the front desk girl was hotter than hell icon_biggrin.gif

Second....I was seen by a REAL doctor. He was really nice. Checked me out....told me how many grafts and how much. He actually told me there was no need for extensive work due to the fact the back of my head is the worst and I could just use Propecia or Proscar.

There was no pressure. Just the consultation and then he asked if I had any questions. I saw work of the doctor that was going to perform the surgery .... asked a few more questions and then he just said to call for an appointment. Very no-pressure situation.

So, maybe this particular MHR is good. Oh, the doctor that is going to do the procedure just did the largest transplantation. Something like 12,000 or so. He did it on WGN news. I thought that was cool. My planner is in my car but, I'll post the name later.

Binocular microscopes and all FU grafts. I snickered when I said the FU thing...don't know why.

Actually I work at an airline so flying for me is free. And i've got a friend in Phx and I've been lookin for an excuse. If you don't mind me askin, how many grafts did you get?

Oh, and the price was 5 g's. Is that about right? For I think...1200 grafts...crap, i forgot now. Just the front of my head..I think it was 2500 now. Damn , not only am I losin my hair, apparently my memory is on a roadtrip.

It came to around 5,000 with the travel rebate factored in. 1200 was what I was entitled to, but as is often the case, I wound up with extra. So, the total was over 1300 grafts.

What are they charging at MHR in Chicago now? Are they still in the Newberry Plaza on State with Dr. Dramis (the plastic surgeon).

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/paul148148/lst?&.dir=/Transplant+Photos&.src=ph&.view=t

Dr. Dramis works for MHR? Or do they just share a common space?

Or are they just in the same building?

I saw Dr. Dramis YEARS ago (along with a half-dozen other plastic surgeons) to see if there was any way I could undo the damge that Dr. Puig did to me. Dr. Dramis basically told me i was stuck with the scarring, and there was no way to undo a bad hair transplant.

I would be sorry to hear that he has gone over to the "dark side".

Sorry, when I say Chicago, it's actually Oak Brook.

Darkside? Man, there must be A LOT of bad MHR experiences. That sux. If my consultation is at all a reflection of their service, i think it would be a good one.

I believe it's about 5000 for about 1500.

Dr. Dramis just shared space at Newberry plaza with Matt Leavitt. I worked with Dramis's wife which is how I wound up going over to MHR. This was before MHR did all the heavy advertising. I was not thrilled with my consult with Leavitt, and I didn't think the photos of his patients looked very good, so I didn't go ahead with surgery at the time.

kevinj,

I thought I had a bad memory - you may be the only person with one that is worse than mine. icon_biggrin.gif Also, in my opinion writing FU is always funny, but in addition to having no memory I'm pretty childish. I would definitely stick to the board for a while, and read as many posts as possible, and please go to one of the most recommended on this board. The guys on this board are pretty objective, and someone touting a bad doctor is almost always uncovered. As you know, MHR is not highly recommended.

Good luck.

Manko

Anyone who has read this forum for any length of time, and is still considering a hair mill is absolutely insane.

Click for - My Pix, and Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling, and healing.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/mentor/mentor_profile.asp?Mentor=Joecifus