cutting hair for HT

I do not want to cut my hair for my HT. I know that buzzing the recipient area, according to the doctors, makes it easier for them but the surgeons that I have spoken to have also relayed to me that it is not necessary and that it would not affect final results.

I have decided on a surgeon and am in the process of finalizing a surgery date for sometime in early October.I hope to have that secured by the end of next week.

The surgeon who will perform the HT on me told me it would not be necessary for me to cut my hair for the HT.(I will trim it back somewhat though.)I will hold him to that. I do not want to be put in a position on the day of surgery where I am asked to buzz my recipient area. I expect to know now if the surgeon is able to perform the surgery without the buzz and still achieve high quality results.If he can't tell me now so that I can go with someone who assures me that he can.I would consider it a breech of good faith if I am pressured day of surgery to cut down the recipient area.

For some guys this is not an issue but I want to keep this matter private and being in the profession that I am in the radical change in appearance would churn up a plethora of unwanted repurcussions that would last a very long time.

I still have good coverage that will work well to mask the HT procedure. I don't want to relinquish that camoflouge to make the surgeon's job easier. I also still expect to achieve the same high quality results.

All opinions are welcome.

Thank you

I do not want to cut my hair for my HT. I know that buzzing the recipient area, according to the doctors, makes it easier for them but the surgeons that I have spoken to have also relayed to me that it is not necessary and that it would not affect final results.

I have decided on a surgeon and am in the process of finalizing a surgery date for sometime in early October.I hope to have that secured by the end of next week.

The surgeon who will perform the HT on me told me it would not be necessary for me to cut my hair for the HT.(I will trim it back somewhat though.)I will hold him to that. I do not want to be put in a position on the day of surgery where I am asked to buzz my recipient area. I expect to know now if the surgeon is able to perform the surgery without the buzz and still achieve high quality results.If he can't tell me now so that I can go with someone who assures me that he can.I would consider it a breech of good faith if I am pressured day of surgery to cut down the recipient area.

For some guys this is not an issue but I want to keep this matter private and being in the profession that I am in the radical change in appearance would churn up a plethora of unwanted repurcussions that would last a very long time.

I still have good coverage that will work well to mask the HT procedure. I don't want to relinquish that camoflouge to make the surgeon's job easier. I also still expect to achieve the same high quality results.

All opinions are welcome.

Thank you

all i can say about buzzing the recipient area is that thats the area thats going to be cut out anyways. then sewn up. so when all is said and done, there will not be a buzzed area in the back. just a suture line that you will have regardless.

good luck!

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Dr. Keene does not require you to cut your hair. In fact, she does not want you to cut it. She uses the existing hair a guide graft placement and angulation. She simply moves it out of the way.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I had two surgeries from Dr. Simmonds of the Seager Centre. Both produceed incredible results and neither time did I have to have my head shaved or hair cut for the surgery. I too used what hair I had left as coverage while the transplanted hair grew in and no one was the wiser.

Sometimes it is easy to put in the lateral slits when head is shaved, but I never did.

Here is a suggestion, let the front of your hair grow out with the donor area hair, then during surgery if they need to cut down the midsalp area, your hair is long in the front to comb back over the area-- plus they can work on the hairline without buzzing your head. If your not getting a mega session 4K grafts, then it should not be a problem for the surgeon.

Originally posted by spoon:

Cas, you must have mis-read.

Thinkingaboutit, which surgeon did you pick? I think this business about buzzing down the recipient area is a lot of hype. Some guys seem to use it as some sort of proxy for comraderie, as if getting a boot camp haircut admits you to a club. It's definitely not a requirement.

spoon, you are right. I was thinking the donor area. Got the words confused.

LET ME TELL ALL OF YOU THIS. GETTING YOUR RECIPIENT AREA SHAVED SUCKS!!!!!!!!

especially when your hair is on the way out anyway , it takes so long to grow back. I am 2 months post op and it is just now coming back and getting thicker. its been a very wierd 2 months.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Thinking..-

I didn't have a problem with shaving or keeping it shaved for a while. I guess it's all a matter of preferrence. I look younger with a shaved head so I don't get to bothered by it. It seems that shaving isn't really neccessary but easier on the doctor, I personally don't mind doing everything to facilitate the doc doing the best procedure possible.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...6060861/m/7861074841

Shiny Side Up!!