A big question: Propecia & Testosterone Boosters

Can you be taking both at once? Is there an issue with elevated testosterone levels and the effectiveness of Propecia? I really hope that I can use both, because I know that both drugs are very safe on their own but i'm not sure what happens when combined.

Thanks

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Propecia lowers the conversion rate of T to DHT. When you use T boosters automatically DHT levels increase because the conversion rate is same but the input is more. This is my own theory. May not be true.

Ravi Vide

Originally posted by jagdish:

Propecia lowers the conversion rate of T to DHT. When you use T boosters automatically DHT levels increase because the conversion rate is same but the input is more. This is my own theory. May not be true.

In other words, it would lower the effectiveness of Propecia?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

And lifting weights also raises t-levels - which means that working out is also counteractive to Propecia? Jesus...

Working out is a big deal to me: back.png

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Guys

working out has no effect on hairloss. Anyone who tells you differently is talking without any sense.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I don't know the answer to your question, but it is interesting to know that finasteride is a banned substance for athletes. It apparently is used by unscrupulous athletes to mask testosterone levels. I think the basis of this is actually how the tests are done. They apparently look at DHT levels and extrapolate from there to conclude that testosterone levels are high. I read something about this last June when some athletes were caught using finasteride.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I thought propecia works by blocking the 5 alpha reductase typeI enzyme which converts testosterone into DHT. I don't think Testosterone level is relevant to overall DHT levels. No enzyme no conversion, unless body produces more enzyme when T-levels get higher.

Originally posted by Gorpy:

I don't know the answer to your question, but it is interesting to know that finasteride is a banned substance for athletes. It apparently is used by unscrupulous athletes to mask testosterone levels. I think the basis of this is actually how the tests are done. They apparently look at DHT levels and extrapolate from there to conclude that testosterone levels are high. I read something about this last June when some athletes were caught using finasteride.

This is strange. Finasteride actually increases testosterone levels.

Ravi Vide

Originally posted by dhuge67:
Originally posted by jagdish:

In other words, it would lower the effectiveness of Propecia?

Yes. Exactly.

Ravi Vide

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Guys

working out has no effect on hairloss. Anyone who tells you differently is talking without any sense.

I agree. Working out is no way related to hairloss. Theoritically it is true that working out increases T levels. But it is not proven that working out increases hairloss. There were many debates on this concept.

Let us take it in another way. Working out ensures proper blood suply to the scalp and thus making hair healthier. Apart from that working out is compulsary to keep the body fit, to lower the aging rate, keep the deseases away and etc etc. So let us continue work outs.

Ravi Vide

This is strange. Finasteride actually increases testosterone levels.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the details, but it has something to do with masking the testosterone levels or ratios or something???

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

So opinions seem pretty mixed. But, if working out raises t-levels but does not effect hair loss, then t-boosters would not be harmful or counteract Propecia, it would seem...

I don't know if I should chance it...

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dhuge,

I don't suggest that. Because there are proven cases that T-Boosters increse hairloss.

If T-levels increase by working out that is another case. That happens naturally due to our physically activities. But if we take T boosters we are playing with our hormones. Anything unnatural will have side effects. Same applies to Propecia.

Ravi Vide

Could we get a doctor to shed some light on this?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Guys

First let's clarify the obvious..

1- Working out DOES NOT increase hair loss.. Period... This is a fact, trust me on this one.

NOW, if you use a testosorone booster that's another issue . These products can speed up the balding process if you are prediposed for Male pattern baldness but will not cause you to permenantly lose hair if you are not presdiposed( i.e it will grow back).. High testosterone levels does not always mean you lose hair.. Again, genetics play a big role.

I am very sure on this one..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

If you want to accelerate your hairloss, then increase your Test, esp. at your age when your test levels are sky high already and you are pre-disposed to MPB.

Hairplants and Test Boosters (pro-hormones or whatever you want to call them) are in direct conflict in terms of healthy hair goals.

and Dhuge, some people on this thread are doctors, just not HT surgeons.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by HairHope:

If you want to accelerate your hairloss, then increase your Test, esp. at your age when your test levels are sky high already and you are pre-disposed to MPB.

Hairplants and Test Boosters (pro-hormones or whatever you want to call them) are in direct conflict in terms of healthy hair goals.

and Dhuge, some people on this thread are doctors, just not HT surgeons.

Well then I obviously won't touch the stuff. Thanks for clearing it up.

What about Creatine? It seems people in the bodybuilding community see it as very safe and claim that it has no effect on MPB. Is this true, also?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

dhuge,

On my travels for understanding hairloss I read somewhere to stay away from Steroids and creatine. You can quickly do a search of "Creatine hair loss" on google and you will get 1,120,000+ results. A lot of it is personal experience but a lot of people think that creatine can accelerate your hair loss.

Personally I don't think it is worth the risk.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Originally posted by JakeVig:

dhuge,

On my travels for understanding hairloss I read somewhere to stay away from Steroids and creatine. You can quickly do a search of "Creatine hair loss" on google and you will get 1,120,000+ results. A lot of it is personal experience but a lot of people think that creatine can accelerate your hair loss.

Personally I don't think it is worth the risk.

Okay, but how does that make sense? I think it might be mental, with Creatine, more than anything. If you read posts from people at t-nation.com you'll find them saying how "laughable" it is that creatine could cause or accelerate hair loss.

Seems ridiculous to me too, since it is not working on a hormonal level.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

You are correct, unlike pro-hormones - which are pre-cursors to testosterone (and other anabolics), creatine is simply a naturally occurring amino acid derived from the amino acids glycine, arginine, and methionine (i.e., could be steak!).

The only hypothetical indirect action is because you have better workouts - stimulating test, but to me that is a good thing and can be handled via the propecia.

good luck

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

I have been on Creatine for a long time. I have been on finasteride for last 6 months and it stopped my hairloss though I never stopped taking Creatine. I don't think creatine causes any kind of hairloss.

Ravi Vide

Hi

I think this goes back to the fact people will look for any cause when they start losing their hair ( 95% are not valid) It is simply MPB .. we have all gone through this.. Bottom line.. All of these products will not cause your to lose hair but may increase the speed by which you will if you are predisposed ( i.e Test)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Propecia is an alpha-reducate type-2 blocker. It is like a road blocker for DHT, and so if you take testosterone you will just have more of a back up testosterone, it will not increase your DHT levels.

Propecia will only allow a 33% production of DHT, no matter how much testosterone you have.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile

Originally posted by NikkiJ:

Propecia is an alpha-reducate type-2 blocker. It is like a road blocker for DHT, and so if you take testosterone you will just have more of a back up testosterone, it will not increase your DHT levels.

Propecia will only allow a 33% production of DHT, no matter how much testosterone you have.

So then a product like this ( http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1054351 ) would be okay to take simultaneously with Propecia?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog