"FUE" QUESTION FOR FALC

Hey Bill,

I have two appointments in the coming weeks. One with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein and one with Dr. Feller.

If you could enlighten me a bit more with the FUE procedure, I would greatly appreciate it. I saw that pic by the way of that guy from the UK who wnet to see Dr. Feller a few times and it looked fabulous. I think what I'm confused about is: When you do FUE and they dont slice the scalp. Doesnt taking those hairs out from the donor areas cause you to have thinner areas in the back or sides? As opposed to the strip method that closes up the area, thus compensating for hair that was removed? With the FUE, wouldn't those hairs that were removed not be able to grow back?..Thanx again for any tips or info..I really need to start a procedure soon and get on meds etc..I think i'd also like to stay locally in new york. not fly out to vancouver to see dr. hasson..even though i see and hear great things about him.. But Dr. Epstein and Feller look like they do some amazing work.

Thanx bro,

Shmutzydawg

Hey Bill,

I have two appointments in the coming weeks. One with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein and one with Dr. Feller.

If you could enlighten me a bit more with the FUE procedure, I would greatly appreciate it. I saw that pic by the way of that guy from the UK who wnet to see Dr. Feller a few times and it looked fabulous. I think what I'm confused about is: When you do FUE and they dont slice the scalp. Doesnt taking those hairs out from the donor areas cause you to have thinner areas in the back or sides? As opposed to the strip method that closes up the area, thus compensating for hair that was removed? With the FUE, wouldn't those hairs that were removed not be able to grow back?..Thanx again for any tips or info..I really need to start a procedure soon and get on meds etc..I think i'd also like to stay locally in new york. not fly out to vancouver to see dr. hasson..even though i see and hear great things about him.. But Dr. Epstein and Feller look like they do some amazing work.

Thanx bro,

Shmutzydawg

Lemme save Bill some typing for a few of those questions (but he can certainly correct me anywhere that I'm inaccurate) --

FUE work does indeed cause the hairs taken not to grow back again, and therefore it "thins" the donor zones to some extent. But no matter which style of HT you get, your head doesn't get any smaller and the number of grafts on the back/sides does get reduced. So even with strip HTs, there's a certain amount of hair-thinning in the donor zones just from stretching the skin to close the wound.

FUE isn't truly a scar-free job, they're just smaller scars that are more spread out. Beware that FUE work is generally more inconsistent than strip HTs even from the best doctors. Strip-style HTs generally have higher graft survival rates and they're certainly cheaper & more reliable. If science ever invents a way to eliminate the strip-scar's appearance, then FUE's popularity would probably take a sharp dive.

And BTW: One of the popular FUE docs insists that the "average" patient often has 10,000-15,000 donor grafts available with FUE work. Don't believe this. None of the other docs agree, and this doc in question still hasn't come close to proving it even after several years making that claim. Any doctor could move 15,000 grafts on a patient, but that doesn't mean the patient's donor area will still look normal when he's done.

About 6000 grafts is widely seen as the practical limit for an FUE-only patient, and maybe 6-8000 grafts is the limit with a combination of several strips followed by some FUE work. These numbers are debatable, but I'm just ballparking it.

-------------------------------------------------

thanx calv for the info,

i guess then the best way to go is to do the strip and not fue..really dont want to lose thickness in the back either..i guess the entire process is gonna be a trade off regardless what you do....i havent seen dr epstein yet, but after talking with the office..they told me he does use a process whereby his receiving area is done so microscopicly that he does not require to shave the area but would just cut the hair short..geez ,if they only figured out already how to clone ones hair.

thanx for the quick response and we'll se what Bill has to say...

shmutzydawg

While you are waiting your response from Bill. I will share some info out there about Fue from experience. When talking about survival rates of Fue vs. strip. I wish people would zereo in on what doctor they went to and the docs experience doing the procedures. I had strip 3 times from over the last 7 years. And my survival rate was lower with strip than my Fue. Why? I come to the conclusion that my strip docs technique was not state of the art.Like we see here from great docs like H&W and others talked about on the site. You have to do the same comparissions with Fue. Can you see how this can confuse newbie posters? There are many these days that are doing Fue and having different levels of success with it. There is information out there on the web and people to contact with success story's of Fue for you to be able to form your own educated opinions on the procedure . If you were looking to get a strip procedure would you go to Bosley or H&W? You have to use the same research in choosing Fue. And as far as a popular Fue doctor saying 10,000 -15,000 Fue grafts availiable? There is no information out there to prove that it's true.

thanx for the info franklin...it does get a bit overwhelming at times...and yes, it's getting to the point of what decision to make as far as procedure and the right doctor..i even read that some meds like propecia and finasteride may not even help long term and long term side effects are not well documented. yet,, some of the top doctors ive spoken with, say i should start taking finasteride..seems there are so many, if not to many options, depending on who you talk to from the people here to the doctors.. so i find myself stuck and not being able to do anything.. i do have upcoming consults with dr. jeffrey epstein and dr. feller..maybe that will help me to go forward with it....already saw dr. bernstein.. but we never had a lengthy discussion as to the positves and negatives of any of these topics....it made me feel like,, okay, you want to fill in the hairline,

no problem..and that was pretty much it...even though i read and hear great things about him..

anyway,, want to thank you and all for your helpfullness and replys.. any more info from anyone and all is always greatly appreciated

best

shmutzydawg

Smutzy,

Well it looks like you've already received some great answers and considerations from our forum members so there isn't a lot more for me to say icon_wink.gif.

To read more about Strip Vs FUE, feel free to read the following hair loss Q&A Blog.

Or you can read more information about FUE and the differences between FUE and Strip on our website here.

Best wishes,

Bill