Dr DiStefano

Guest Larry David

Guest Larry David

Does anyone have any info on Dr DiStefano out of Massachusetts or :the Triple flap procedure from Dr Frechet". I've seen a few Doctors performing this procedure with Follicular Unit Transplantation. Thanks

Guest Larry David

Does anyone have any info on Dr DiStefano out of Massachusetts or :the Triple flap procedure from Dr Frechet". I've seen a few Doctors performing this procedure with Follicular Unit Transplantation. Thanks

Larry David, you need to clarify if you are talking about Dr. Frechet's closure method, which has been studied, altered, and is producing even better results than ever (called the Trico closure) as most TOP surgeons are now employing it. Or are you talking about an actual "Flap" procedure? Please clarify this, and we can offer some insight.

As for Dr. DiStefano, use the search feature to find out as much as you can. I am sure one or two of the members here can offer some info on him.......

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Guest Larry David

Thanks for your replies. It looks like this flap that he's performing in addition to the hair transplants is different than the old Meyer Flap.I'm very caustious though.

[Link to Dr. DiStefano's site removed]

You need to stay away from flap procedures period. DO NOT be a test subject. You need to understand why this guy is the ONLY surgeon in the US doing this: because anyone one else of repute would run 1000 miles in an opposite direction. Flaps should ONLY be used in extreme cases, not as a typical hairloss treatment. What happens when the hair recedes from the flap and the patient needs more transplants? What if he used his donor to replace his frontal half? What if his scalp is too tight to remove a strip after scalp reduction?

Too many questions, and too much downside, in my opinion.

Go see someone who will make sure you get the best care for YOU, not someone looking to score a dollar or a test subject.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Larry,

Dr. DiStefano is not recommended on this site because as of a year ago he was still using a multibladed knife for removing the donor tissue.

All the top clinics have long since discontinued using this the multibladed knife due to the increased transection (severing) of follicles that it creates. Essentially the multibladed knife cut the donor area into multiple strips as the donor area was being cut. This also typically required the physician to apply more downward preasure, which in some cases could result in cutting more of the underlying tissue.

The optimal method of donor strip removal is to use a single blade to carefully harvest the donor tissue and then have the technicians carefully disect it into smaller sections under the microscopes. This sectioning process is refered to as "slivering" and is critical to minimizing follicle transection.

In my opinion, clinics that care more about preserving the patient's finite donor follicles and delivering optimal results do not use multibladed knifes.

As for Dr. Frechet's triple flap, some physicians who have seen him perform it in his office in Paris think it is radical but that it can work. However, when physicians in North America tried to perform it in the US the results were generally disappointing.

To read about the triple flap and other radical hair surgeries, which are generally not recommended click here..

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Guest Larry David

Thanks guys. That's why this site is great.One guy that I can now cross off the list. Makes my search for the Best easier.Not many New England Doctors recommended on this site. Anyone have any thoughts On Dr Robert Leonard out of Providence. Thanks Again