First Post: Looking for qualified surgeon

Hi: I'm new to the site and I am looking for an excellent surgeon to complete transplant work I started about 15 years ago. I originally went to Bosley in Atlanta, and actually had a decent result, but the hair has continued to thin and recede to the point where I'm in need of more density. I want to choose a surgeon wisely, as I went to Dr. Brandy in Pittsburgh 3 years ago and had 700 grafts, which cosmetically turned out ok, but I still have some numbness/tightness in the donor area, which I (unfortunately) assume is permanent. I don't live too far from Charlotte, N.C., and was wondering about Dr. Cooley.

Thanks,

MA - Charleston, WV

Hi: I'm new to the site and I am looking for an excellent surgeon to complete transplant work I started about 15 years ago. I originally went to Bosley in Atlanta, and actually had a decent result, but the hair has continued to thin and recede to the point where I'm in need of more density. I want to choose a surgeon wisely, as I went to Dr. Brandy in Pittsburgh 3 years ago and had 700 grafts, which cosmetically turned out ok, but I still have some numbness/tightness in the donor area, which I (unfortunately) assume is permanent. I don't live too far from Charlotte, N.C., and was wondering about Dr. Cooley.

Thanks,

MA - Charleston, WV

Yes Cooley I am sure will be a good choice, you can do a online consult and send your photos to him, you may want to send these to some of the other docs coalition docs mentioned on the forum even if they are further away.

Good luck!

NoBuzz

head honcho,

Welcome to the forums. Here will be a good start:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Dr. Cooley is an excellent physician. Just use the "Find" feature on this forum to see other patients who have had work done by him. Any of the coalition doctors (link posted above) have proven themselves to do quality work. To view the qualifications of coalition membership to see what makes these doctors good choices, see here:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...ership-standards.asp

I admit, some of the coalition doctors I'm less familiar with than others, but all have met the criteria in one way or another. If you have any questions, let me know.

Bill

head honcho,

In my opinion, Dr. Cooley is an outstanding surgeon, for many reasons, many of which are already well documented in these discussion groups.

Today I am one week post-op with Dr. Cooley. I can tell you that his surgery on me exceeded my expectations. I can also tell you that I am progressing exceptionally well at this point.

If I can answer any other questions you might have related to my own proceedure/experience with Dr. Cooley, don't hesitate to ask.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

head-

Yes- Dr. Cooley would be an excellent choice. Several here have benefitted from the quality Hair Transplants that he delivers. I see you've had a couple of HT's in the past, do you do anything for loss prevention like take Propecia or use Minoxidil? Where are you at on the Norwood scale?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank:

Currently, I'm not taking propecia or using minoxidil, though I have in the past. Do you think these are really necessary? I've tried minoxidil a few times in the past for as long as a year, but saw no results. I've been taking saw palmetto regularly, which is suppose to metabolize DHT like propecia.

head honcho

head-

Ditto Bill's advice. By the way, I had not consistently taken Finsteride before HT #1 but immediately started after HT #2. As I continued to educate myself during this process, I came to the realization that even though I had "permanent" HT hair on my head now, that I would still be subject to MPB hair loss over the years possibly receeding farther down the crown and sides. I'm now 40 years of age so granted my loss isn't as agressive as it likely was in the early stages, but I'm sure I'll still lose more over time.

Personally, I've been taking Finasteride (I quarter Proscar) for almost one year now and I have experienced mild regrowth in the hairline. Tough to tell everywhere else because it's probably 75% HT hair anyway but crown is the most likely place for it to help so if I have growth in the hairline I'd say it's working for me.

I really would encourage you to research this more before tossing it aside. I couldn't stand Minox's messy regimen but Finasteride is a pill.............what could be easier?? icon_cool.gif Saw Palmetto is far from proven.....as Bill said, no evidence to support this.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank:

Thanks for the advice. Ditto to Bill. I think a lot of people don't realize just how relentless MPB can be, even after successful HT's. I was pretty happy with my HT results 15 yrs. ago, but my side and temple hair has been marching relentlessly backwards ever since (I'm 49 now). I recently learned that MPB is a lifetime experience...it never lets up until you're dead and gone. I'll discuss propecia with my doctor during the consult. I think I'm going to take a trip to Charlotte soon to consult with Dr. Cooley.

head honcho