HATS! help please

Kkat

Ok, I need help. 8 days after I have my HT, I need to be somewhere working. Now, I know I will have redness and the staples will be in.

I was told I could wear a hat, but I dont think that hat will cover the staples. Also, the people I will be around are a bit forward, and will notice my hair shaved (used to be quite long) and will be trying to look under my cap. Now, that might not happen, but there is always the cchance.

Today, I went to ROOTS and bought a black roots beanie (its not very thick, or really that tight at all). IT covers my forehead and the entire back of my head.

I need to wear this for all day Friday and all day Saturday.

Is that cool? I dont want anyone to see I had a HT, that is just me, and that wont change. Especially i nthe line of work I do, I would not hear the end of it. If i can get by this weekend after day 8 post op, I will be ok cuz then the staples will come oout the next week, and I will not have to do much in public until then, and then I can go back to a ball cap.

HELP PLEASE

kkat

Ok, I need help. 8 days after I have my HT, I need to be somewhere working. Now, I know I will have redness and the staples will be in.

I was told I could wear a hat, but I dont think that hat will cover the staples. Also, the people I will be around are a bit forward, and will notice my hair shaved (used to be quite long) and will be trying to look under my cap. Now, that might not happen, but there is always the cchance.

Today, I went to ROOTS and bought a black roots beanie (its not very thick, or really that tight at all). IT covers my forehead and the entire back of my head.

I need to wear this for all day Friday and all day Saturday.

Is that cool? I dont want anyone to see I had a HT, that is just me, and that wont change. Especially i nthe line of work I do, I would not hear the end of it. If i can get by this weekend after day 8 post op, I will be ok cuz then the staples will come oout the next week, and I will not have to do much in public until then, and then I can go back to a ball cap.

HELP PLEASE

kkat

I wore a ballcap and it covered my staples...

I later buzzed my hair (all over). I had ONE guy ask me- I told him I was cutting my hair and the clipperguard slipped off and I buzzed a patch out of the top. Hense the ballcap... (just a thought) Everyone else was used to seeing me in a ballcap.

I would try to cut the hair short, and wear the hat a couple of times before HT, just for the whole thing to look less suspicious. Don't assume that your HT will be undetectable after only a few weeks. Each case is different. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

boy, talk about trying to hide the HT. Luckily I am currently in college so wearing a baseball cap is nothing out of the ordinary. I am currently 2 and 1/2 month post HT. However, it still a hassle to wear a cap every where I go. I mean I have to wear it in class, to the bathroom, although I don't wear a hat in my room with the door closed since I told my roommate about the HT. You got the drift...it is annoying to worry about others finding out about the HT. Also, i am pretty much staying away from the public activities, and it's a bitch since it's college for god's sake!! Anyway, just live it day by day i guess, try to cover it up as much as you can. And if others find out about the HT, then F**k it. Waiting period is a pain though.

I think a ball cap WILL cover your staples. My last donor incision was quite low, and a ball cap did just fine. Just make sure that whatever you wear does not put any pressure on the donor sites, as it could damage the grafts.

I did have a couple of people bug me about why I was wearing a hat all the time. I just told them I had some minor surgery, it's ugly, and they wouldn't like seeing it. That shut them up fast, no more questions. Let them guess, it's none of their business!

There is always that fear of your buddy...knocking off your hat out of curiosity. icon_biggrin.gif

Just hope for the best !!! somehow I made it with a baseball hat, but I wear them anyways off & on.

Good luck !

You will laugh later.....lol

Is 8 days post op enough time that a hat or thin touque do not put pressure on transplant units?

I mean, I know the first few days you cant touch it, but I do know at 4 days you can wear a loose ball cap. But what about a touque (sort of a beanie) that is only really snug around the outsides, not on top, but does rest on the head.

I want to wear a beanie (roots, thin, black) because It will cover staples and I will be in cold enviroment and dont want anyone to see.

kkat

any responses?