Black Male and debating?

I am a black male, 27 and about a 5 on the Norwood scale I guess (lost hairline and severe thinning in the crown) and have been using Toppik and Courve for about two years now. Recently went to Medical Hair Restoration in Houston, Texas and at the consultation I was told that I would receive 1900 grafts to be on the safe side due to the unknown of my progression and should start Propecia and Minox. in conjunction. Wanted to know if Dr. Carlos Puig is a good surgeon, what to expect with it and whether I should even get the surgery. I'm tired of wearing a hat and being embarassed and depressed behind this shit. I desperately want to do something and need info on that scarring situation. Is that why Jaime Foxx has a tattoo in the back of his head.

welcome to the forums irvchilichill,

You are among friends here and we all know to well the physcological effects that hair loss can have.

I would agree with john to stay away from the chains. You dont want anyone but the best and proven surgeons to mess with your head. Many of the best independent surgeons are even cheaper than the chains so its a win-win. Having said that a NW5 at 27 could be a problem as you may not have enough donor hair to maintain a satisfactory result in the future. First thing you should do is to get on Propecia and if you can stand the daily regime indefinately Minoxidil as well. As a NW5 I dont believe you will be happy with your results with only 1900 grafts. I would consult a few of the good ethical surgeons listed in the coalition here to work out a game plan for you now and into the future. Most of the consultations can be done online and are free.

Most excellent doctors now employee the tricho scar closure that lets hair grow through the scar, so after a couple of months if you leave your hair longer than a #2 buzz cut it should not be an issue.

Basically if you post your pictures (you can edit out your face) we can give you a more accurate assessment of how many grafts you will need. Although I can tell you from experience that you can take comfort in the advice of many of the top surgeons listed on this site as they really do have your long term interests at heart.

This forum is a valuable research tool, I suggest that you go through and take a look at many of the patient photos listed here to get an idea of the cosmetic result that can be achieved with the no of grafts.

Hope this helps.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Dr. Puig does not possess a very good reputation at all. In fact, I am surprised he is still performing HT, (I hesitate to call what he has done Hairtransplantation), given the negative feedback he has garnered. In all honesty, I haven't even heard his name in more than a year. Dr.s like Puig need the protection of large chains like MHR so they can stay in business. I know this is probably NOT what you want to hear, but you need to hear it sooner, rather than later. You need to go to a HT surgeon than knows the physiological makeup of African American patients as they are subjected to keliod scars and in general the size of the follicles are larger and more coarse. In addition, Black people tend to have appreciably lower density per cm/2 than members of other races. These are issues that need to be addressed with you, BEFORE you even consider a HT, period. I would recommnd you visit several clinics, and ask to see many photos of African American patients, and try to arrange to see a patient in person. I echo the sentiments of many others, Stay Away From MHR, and any other Hair Mill.

Stay around and ask a lot of questions!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Do you know of any good reputable doctors near Louisiana that I could get sound advice from and what expectations could I reasonably assume from Propecia and Minoxidill....What about Avotard if i'm spelling it right. Just feeling really desperate these days and trying to come to a solution before I concede to it and shave it off....It's really ruined my social and personal life for a number of years now.

Im at a lost about what to do that will effectively help me get over the personal stigma that I burden myself everyday with. I dont know who to tturn to and who even to go to being that I'm in Louisiana. I try to talk to my mother and close ppl about this, but theysay dont worry and I should shave it. That's the exact opposite look of what I envision for myself and my esteem has tanked in recent years. I dont want to partake in any activities and have become somewhat of a recluse. My girl, bless her heart, tells me that she's not worried,but she is a beautiful girl that I want to marry, but I'm so worried about standing at the alter with friends and family to see my cueball head. I know I may be overreacting, but I get more and more depressed about this and finally broke down crying about this shit today! Just looking for a real solution from somebody who doesnt just see me as a payday and go on your way. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

irv,

Just want to let you know that we all understand what you are going through. Hairloss has a way to effect our social life for years before we are prepared to do something about it. You do however seem to be lucky enough to have an understanding partner. I know its hard but try not to let this be an issue that stops you from having a happy relationship.

The benefit from meds varies wildly among patients. Some people like waittosee (who you can search for on this forum) have amazing regrowth, in most cases it can stabalize and halt your hairloss, while for other patients it will only slow down their hairloss. Avodart is more effective in suppressing DHT (the cause of hairloss) than Propecia, this is also reflected in initial studies that show that it is more effective at treating hairloss than proecia. It is important though to know that it is not yet FDA approved for hairloss, it has more potent side effects than propecia and there are no studies on its long term effects. In essence you are taking a risk by taking Avodart. A lot of doctors will want you to try Propecia for a couple of years to see if you respond well before prescribing Avodart (if they do at all).

I have also started taking Avodart myself as I have not responded well to Propecia for the last couple of years. One important thing that you should know before you start any treatments is that you may experience an initial shedding. You should not be concerned about this as most of the shedded hair will grow back and is actually a good sign that you are responding to the treatment.

One last thing, I believe that most African Am men actually look good bald. In a lot of cases they look better with no hair than with hair (e.g. Michael Jordan). Before starting any surgeries you will want to know if you can pull off the shaved look, because after a HT you will no longer have this option and a slick bald head usually looks better than a thinning head.

IMO you should start Propecia, Minox (If you can stand it) and Nizoral shampoo, and wait it out for 6-12 months so you can judge its effictiveness. During this time you should take comfort knowing that you are doing the most you can for your hairloss and that you still have the option for a HT in future. If anything the Propecia will strengthen your existing hair and minimize shockloss if you ultimately do decide to get a HT.

Another bonus is that you have found an invaluable resource in this forum, that contains a wealth of knowledge. It also highlights the best HT doctors in the world so you can at least take comfort that you will not become a butchered HT victim (something that is still a common occurance in this industry today). Don't be afraid to ask questions as a HT is a life time committment and you should know all the facts before you committ yourself.

Hope this helps!

Hey Jake Vig,

I genuinely appreciate all the help you and others have given me and it encourages me to know that I dont have to just settle for what life has given me. I had always been interested in HT but was very skeptical about all aspects and whether I would have to settle for the "box" look that many pictures of past A-American patients I had seen or it would justnot be to my liking. However, recent improvements that I have noticed in pictures have shown me that I can achieve the results that I desire possibly. I was thinking about getting on the Propecia immediately and consult a physician as to HT on my hairline since I know Propecia will ordinarily not restore the frontal region. I initially went to MHR in Houston and visited a Dr. Carlos Puig, and they quoted me a price of $3.75 a graft ("online" discount that initially would have been $4.25) with possible need for between 1700-1900 grafts and would have cost me over $8,000 but he would have "discounted" me to $7,600 or something to that effect if I would have scheduled immediately for the date of Sept. 26 or 28. Well, I then started my research, found this site and many have told me that the chains suck and Puig is garbage and a butcher! So, I'm glad that I checked out b4 I decided to just be impulsive and do it. On this site, I guess a surgeon that's near to me that is endorsed is Dr. Barerra in Houston, Texas (I'm in Lafayette, La). I am wondering if anyone knows of his reputation and if he is a good and caring surgeon. I really would like to pursue this avenue very soon and start the process with the HT---me being impulsive again, but I just want to recreate I hairline that I have had to doctor and conceal for well over 8 years now and has just deterred me from engaging in activities that I used to enjoy like basketball and outdoor sports for fear of my COurve or Toppik streaking or glistening for others to notice. I once was playing basketball not to long ago and the ball kind of skidded near my head and when someone else caught the ball they notice the courve all over the ball and I was so embarrassed, I just kind of walked out as if to get water and never returned. I'm 6'4 and was a good high school player who dreamed of playing college basketball or football but when my hair started fallling,I stopped all those activites b/c I was more worried about having to conceal my head rather than competing! I've cried many a nights in my dorm when I was younger and b/came depressed and my mom sent me to a shrink, but it wasnt to outside factors or anything, just the simple fact that Iwas losing my hair, but didn't want to seem weak and let anybody know that was the reason. I'm so gald I can talk to ppl who know exactly how devastating it is to lose something you have no amount of control over and I hate the proverbial stare from ppl looking from your eyes to your head and wondering what they're thinking. Anyways, I thank everybody aand if anyone knows a good, reputable, and very affordable surgeon near Louisiana who takes interest in his/her patients, I would greatly appreciate all the info Ican get. I want my life back and I want to run for public office and image is everything even though it shouldn't be, but this is the world we live in and have to play by its rules. I pray everyday that I will achieve the goal I am looking for and will forever be grateful to the surgeon who gave me my life back. thankyou all!

Hi irv,

yeah it sux, hairloss has a way of having a negative impact on our social life. For me I was reluctant to see old friends I haven't seen in a while because they would most likely comment on what I already knew! I also have avoided all water sports for the last 3-4 years!

Although being depressed and impulsive to get a HT is what lands many young patients into a butcher clinic and coming out with a bad HT. Believe it or not there is actually something worse than being bald - that is a bad HT, which can result in a lifetime living under a hat and a series of repair surgeries!

I cant stress enough that you shouldn't limit yourself geographically or financially. If your lucky enough to live near an excellent doc thats a bonus, if not take the time to go to one. The results will last a lifetime and you only have 1 head and a precious limited donor supply to play with. I had to fly in from the UK to get my HT done. I was lucky to find this forum as many of the butchered HT's are performed in the UK.

Basically you are not going to get any better advice than the ethical and excellent docs routinely mentioned on this forum. I would start your hairloss treatments now as you will need to strengthen your hair before having a HT to minimize your shockloss. Its a long journey irv, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I am half way there at 3 months post op.

Hi Irvchilichill,

Unfortunately there are not many quality HT physicians near you. The closest is probably Dr. Limmer in San Antonio. Check out this

to help you find a physician. Don't mess around with unknowns. You'll find your life much worse than it is now if you go wrong.

One other thing, being a black guy the curly nature of your hair is actually and advantage. Curly hair provides better coverage than straight hair. But you need to consult with some quality doctors to get some good advice.

It is possible, but keep in mind the scar in back/sides and ask the doctor how long you would have to wear your hair to cover it.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by Gorpy:

Hi Irvchilichill,

Unfortunately there are not many quality HT physicians near you. The closest is probably Dr. Limmer in San Antonio. Check out this

to help you find a physician. Don't mess around with unknowns. You'll find your life much worse than it is now if you go wrong.

One other thing, being a black guy the curly nature of your hair is actually and advantage. Curly hair provides better coverage than straight hair. But you need to consult with some quality doctors to get some good advice.

It is possible, but keep in mind the scar in back/sides and ask the doctor how long you would have to wear your hair to cover it.

I totally agree! Once you decide to do so, add another $1000 or so a choose a GREAT doctor, not one that is close. Remember that a bad HT will make you feel 10 times worse than you feel now, and deplete your donor hair leaving barely any room for other doctors to do repair. If HT will cost you, say, $8,000, another $1000 or so will not make a big dent.

Ok so I will get on the Propecia/Minoxidill plan ASAP. Can anyone tell me the advantage of possibly taking say Avodart as to Propecia or Proscar? Also, as far as HT goes I see so many different ways to go about the scarring process with FUT or FUE or trich--whatever. What is the best possibly route to go about this and what is the deal with immediately applying a oxygen cap right after the surgery. I know it's for immediate circulation to the scalp but does it work and does everybody do so. Finally, me being African-American, I know there are not many quality surgeons that have exceptional results with my race. Does anyone possibly know of a doctor who has had good results with blacks. It seems like every good doctor is in the east (Cooley, Hassan and Wong) are these the only set of doctors that provide excellent service. I thank everybody and it feels good to vent to people who understand this slow torture. As to Jake, I know exactly how you feel as to the whole swimming issue. I havent got in a pool or ocean in well over 5 years and when people ask, I just tell them "oh I hate chlorine water or the fact that people may have pissed in the water or that I dont like the salt in my eyes" Just certain lil small things that people with take for granted you feel like you can't do anymore. I went to LSU and there is a QUAD in the center and I stopped conversing with friends and other students b/c I felt compelled to wear a hat everyday at that point and didnt want people to see me in a hat everyday and draw conclusions. I had a girl I emailed recently from undergrad, and she was joking, but she said, " Hey I cut off all my hair, by the way have you gone bald completely yet, I have" Those comments make you cringe to the depth of your soul and just reinforces your fears. Anyways, As with anything in life, you have to overcome all obstacles and I feel that this is one that I want to overcome and will do everything to do so. All the info I can get to make a sound decision is what I will do and take it from there, but I refuse to have a bald head. I want to be a decent and well-respected politician, but I have to have the image to get in that position. So, I have to do what I have to do and invest in myself just like one does with their education. Well, thanks everybody and does anyone know anything as to Dr, Barraas in Houston? He is in the coalition on this website, has anybody had any work done by him or know of his reputation? Thanks and God Bless

Irv,

Get a friend to take HIGH QUALITY photos of your hairline, sides and back of your head and send these to several clinics to start. Start with Shapiro, Cooley, H&W, Keene, Rose and Feller. Get some answers, compare and contrast, get some prices, develop a plan, and keep tossing your experiences around on the forum here, in order to get a feel for what is going on. Once you narrow your search down, plan an IN-PERSON consult.

The FIRST thing you need to do is STOP looking around your hometown for Docs. If you limit yourself geographically, you are just limiting the amount of information and results you can get.

All of know how difficult being bald is, but this is NOT going to happen overnight, so take a breath, and know that you are trying to do something about it.

Hope this helps you out buddy!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dr. Barraas is not a member of the coalition. I'm not sure where you're getting that info.

Go here

Click on the list of coalition doctors. Also look at the results pull down, before and after pictures. Dr. Glenn Charles has some black men results that look good.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Firstly irv, I can understand the benefits of finally being able to voice your insecurities among fellow supportive hairloss sufferers without being ridiculed by your friends, this is I believe one of this forums major strengths.

Although Im going to have to agree with everyone here to start looking for docs outside your area. I know its convenient but you would hate to be kicking yourself years down the road when you know that a couple of days in another state would've given you a much better result.

You should be able to take high quality pics of your scalp on your own and use them to consult with the best docs listed here. If you go with one of the coalition docs you can pretty much guaranteed to get a great result with a minimal donor scar - I think avoiding a bad HT should be your top priority.

Basically Avodart suppresses around 92% formation DHT while 5mg of Finasteride only suppresses around 70%. You would want to do a lot more research on Avodart before considering it as it is considered to be an 'unsafe' and more potent drug than Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar). There is a lot of information on Avodart available on this forum, you can also get a good summary information on the differences between Avodart vs Propecia on Robert's Q&A hairloss site here:

http://www.regrowhair.com/non-surgical-hair-loss-treatm...d-you-choose-part-2/

hope this helps irv,

Good Luck!