Ifloss Hair Restoration Journey

ifloss

Ifloss,

It doesn't surprise me that you have experienced early growth. After my first HT with Doctor Cooley, I saw the first burgeoning new hairs sprout at six weeks. Certainly nothing that made a cosmetic difference, but it was enheartening. After a few weeks of seeing nothing--even though one knows intellectually that he won't--it's hard to shake off the feeling of "What the @*%#@#! did I spend all that money for?"

I'm at the seven-week point of my second HT from Dr. Cooley, and again, I'm beginning to see the same trace new growth, and again, it's a moral boost. One thing I should note, though: early growth does not imply consistency of growth. In other words, the new hairs you developed now may be the only ones you see for several weeks, before the next bunch of hairs push through the surface.

Even for us "early sprouters", the conventional wisdom remains true: the growth really won't take off until months seven through nine.

I am particularly interested in following your case, ifloss. Of all of Dr. Cooley's recent patients (some of us in for a second pass), your original degree of baldness most closely mirrors mine. In my first HT, I had the 2,500 grafts dispersed over my entire balding area. It gave me sparse but healthy growth all over. For my second HT, I got 2,550 grafts placed in roughly the same pattern as you did. The only difference is, I opted for more recession at the "sides" of the frontal hairline, giving me more of an advanced widow's peak. I'm 50, and that seemed more appropriate for me, and it freed up more grafts for density on top.

I've got a bit of an advantage since I have 1,000-to-1,200 grafts from my first HT in that area already, so I'm hoping for a real cosmetic improvement. But I'm using your hair growth as something of a benchmark for me (although each patient is different, so it's not guaranteed we'll have the same results), so you better believe I'm rooting for you to have great results!

Glad to see your early growth, and good luck with the rest of the crop!

Thinkingaboutit,

As I said in my post to ifloss, all patients are different,so there are no guarantees. But if you are the typical patient, you should be able to return to work after two weeks with no trace of your HT visible. I went back to work after two weeks following both of my HT's and there was nothing visible to tell anyone that I had had them. (Not that it mattered in my case; I was quite open about the fact that I had had HT's performed.)

The ocean-water thing is a new one on me, so I am not qualified to tell you if it sounds ridiculous or not. But, as long as it does no harm, there's no reason not to give it a whirl.

Good luck with your HT with Doctor Cooley. You couldn't be in better hands.

Thinking,

I had the procedure on Friday(until 9PM), drove home Saturday at 5 AM, spent the day out with my kids and was back at work on Monday. I had ordered surgical caps to wear at work, but by Wednesday I wasn't wearing them (they made my head sweat). Look at my one day, one week, two week photos, not much redness at all. I followed Cooley's instructions, and had no problems.. I took Advil two or three times, that was it. Personally I take no credit and attribute it to the skilled professional service I recieved from Cooley and his staff. BTW, I've heard the ocean water theory but I'd be concerned about microbial growth in the water. Clear it with Dr. Cooley first. Regular purified water with a teaspoon of salt may have the same benefits. I just used his spray, minox and Folligen on my head. After two weeks, I started rubbing EMU oil at night after the folligen and minox.

Hair App,

I'm rooting for you too.

Michael

HT 1-13-06 Dr. Cooley 2600 grafts

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

Ifloss,

Thanks for posting your updated pics..........it looks like you have a lot of positive things happening on top of your head! For only 2 months out you're looking good. Keep posting the updates and let us know how it goes.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 4 months later...

Looking good

I use Propecia for 7 years now or so .. it has stopped my loss and allowed me to focus on treating my hairloss with FUT.. i've had 2 HT's of 1417 and 1476 and now at 6 1/2 months into my second the results are getting better and better. I'm very happy and looking towards 1 more HT maybe early next year.. Slowly but surely I am reaching my goal of a nice head of hair again... You could even get better than your 31 year old pic in my opinion & seem like you are close to there at 6 months..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

ifloss,

Congrats to you on your growth! Looks like you're having no problem turning back the clock to your 31 year old pic and beyond. I'm curious, what's the plan for HT # 2? Are you going for added density or crown work.

Lookin' good and, at the 6 month mark, you've got months of growth and thickening ahead of you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

ifloss,

That is an amazing transformation you got there, and at only 6 months you must be ecstatic! It is hard to believe that you got that coverage from just 2600 grafts!! I checked your weblog and it looks like you also have got yourself quite an extensive regimen there, it appears within that mix you have found something that works. Do you have any thoughts on which part of your regimen has worked best for you thus far?

Congratulations on your results so far, definately keep us posted on your progress!

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Hairbank,

#2 will concentrate on crown and minor fill in. #3 will concentrate on density.

Jake,

I think quality of surgeon, propecia, and minox are the keys. Everything else may add a little, but since I've done my whole regimen since the beginning, I don't know what else is contributing.

Michael

HT 1-13-06 Dr. Cooley 2600 grafts

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

ifloss:

Your results after 6 months truly are amazing. I can't believe how much hair you have. And you still have 6 months to go before you achieve your final results. From what I have read on this forum, you are only 50-60% there. There is still more hair to come for you. I am scheduled for a transplant with Dr. Cooley in September and after seeing your photos, I am glad I chose him. He did fantastic work on you. I can't wait.

JW