Hair Coloring Issues

Mark H

While waiting for my new hair to grow out, my existing hair that had been shaved is coming up nicely, and I wanted to color it.

I started another thread, but then thought to search this forum. There were threads about coloring, but the answers were all over the place.

Some said wait 2 weeks post, others 2 months.

So, I emailed my Dr.'s Personal Assistant, Ailene, and asked her. She indicated that Dr. Cooley prefers I wait 6 weeks post op to color, but if I must to use a temporary rinse color, instead of one of the permanent kind, such as Just for Men.

Well, I have less than a week until the 6 week mark, so in the meantime I thought I'd learn a bit about hair coloring.

I went to About.com, and Howstuffworks.com. Both had basically the same info, but both presented well.

One of the interesting things I read is that the permanent kind uses amonia, becaus a solution is needed to open up the hair follicle, and then the other chemicals eliminate whatever natural color exists, and then replaces it in one step.

So when you use Just for Men, etc, you're putting color INSIDE your hair in a way that can be a bit stressful.

The Temporary Rinse Color products apply color to the outside, and are only good for about 3 shampoos. They have an acidic base, but because they aren't invasive into the follicle, they're much easier on your hair.

For me, this research has given me a plan. I will NOT use color of any kind at the 6 week level, but will wait as long as possible, hopefully till the 3 month mark.

At the 3 month mark I'll give the rinse variety a try, and with luck I hope to get away with that until I reach the 6 month or later mark, so that my hair is very strong before I put an invasive product like amonia into it.

mark

While waiting for my new hair to grow out, my existing hair that had been shaved is coming up nicely, and I wanted to color it.

I started another thread, but then thought to search this forum. There were threads about coloring, but the answers were all over the place.

Some said wait 2 weeks post, others 2 months.

So, I emailed my Dr.'s Personal Assistant, Ailene, and asked her. She indicated that Dr. Cooley prefers I wait 6 weeks post op to color, but if I must to use a temporary rinse color, instead of one of the permanent kind, such as Just for Men.

Well, I have less than a week until the 6 week mark, so in the meantime I thought I'd learn a bit about hair coloring.

I went to About.com, and Howstuffworks.com. Both had basically the same info, but both presented well.

One of the interesting things I read is that the permanent kind uses amonia, becaus a solution is needed to open up the hair follicle, and then the other chemicals eliminate whatever natural color exists, and then replaces it in one step.

So when you use Just for Men, etc, you're putting color INSIDE your hair in a way that can be a bit stressful.

The Temporary Rinse Color products apply color to the outside, and are only good for about 3 shampoos. They have an acidic base, but because they aren't invasive into the follicle, they're much easier on your hair.

For me, this research has given me a plan. I will NOT use color of any kind at the 6 week level, but will wait as long as possible, hopefully till the 3 month mark.

At the 3 month mark I'll give the rinse variety a try, and with luck I hope to get away with that until I reach the 6 month or later mark, so that my hair is very strong before I put an invasive product like amonia into it.

mark

Mark,

It's always good to err on the side of caution with things such as this and heeding your doc's advice. In my case I waited till well after my latest session grew out then I let my stylist at the time take care of it for me. Waiting is good but I suggest you let a pro do it. I've not seen any great coloring results from home kits.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thx Jo,

I've used the Clarol for Men though, and thought it looked fine.

However, I was dyeing it to my original dark brown color. From what I've learned here, I'll actually go with an ash blonde....i'll give it a try anyway.

Now if you mean the rinse ones aren't so good...I suppose you could be right, I've never tried those.

Maybe a pro would be good tho...I could get my hilights done...as soon as I have something to highlight...lol.

mark

Gentlemen, you are being addressed by the home haircoloring pro. I've been coloring my hair at home since age 21 (early gray runs in my family), and am now 36. I color about every 4-5 weeks.

With regards to the issue of how long to wait after your HT to color, I'm sure that 6 weeks to 2 months would be ample time to wait. I waited just over 2 months after my HT before I colored. That was 6 months ago, and I've not noticed any adverse effects from waiting that period of time. I've still been coloring every 4-5 weeks since that time, using level 3 (permanent) haircolor.

As far as the best haircolor over the counter, or whether to go to a stylist, I've been all over the map. I've shelled out $40 for a stylist to do it, I've paid $10 for something over the counter and gotten excellent results, and paid about $6 for something over the counter and gotten horrendous results.

For my buck, I've found Feria to be the best stuff over the counter that I've tried. It's about $10 a box, it gives your whites/grays a really natural "highlighted" look, and it doesn't leave your hair with that gross, "coated" feeling. (some of the cheaper brands are really bad about that). Any of you who are looking for a good over the counter option might give Feria a shot. There are a lot more color options available, I'd bet, than in the men's versions. And I'd be willing to bet a hundred bucks that the main difference between Feria (a "women's" product) and the Just for Men stuff is in the packaging and marketing.

By the way, my current stylist has told me many times that my hair color looks really good. On several occasions, the other stylists in her shop, or even other clients, have commented favorably on my color while she was cutting my hair, and asked if she did it for me. She's always the first to tell them, "Nope! She does it herself." They are always surprised.

So there you have it...my two cents. Happy coloring!

angel706,

Thanks for the info! I've got some slight graying on my temples and a couple of hairs in the front center. It's also graying on the sides and back but is not noticeable in these areas (my hair is long so the few grays in these areas are mixed in with normal dark hairs).

I've been using Just For Men for a good couple of years but after doing some research on Feria, I've found that they have a ton more different colors/variations. I believe that I will give it a try.

For the guys, here's a tip that I use when coloring the temples and the small patch in front: Instead of using a whole package of the hair coloring when only my temples and the small patch in front need it, I use the Just For Men Mustache, Beard, and Sideburns package. I can mix only what I need and it comes with a brush that I use to only apply it to those areas. Works great!