scar at over two yrs and still itching

does anyone else have the problem of the scar on the back of your head itching. mine is over two yrs old and itches like hell. drives me crazy..

does anyone else have the problem of the scar on the back of your head itching. mine is over two yrs old and itches like hell. drives me crazy..

The scar from my first surgery was actually tender for 17 years. Dr. Cooley said there was some scar tissue there and it got more irritating through the years.

The new scar that Cooley corrected feels much, much better and is really not noticeable at six months.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Get in to your doc and have an exam. I post lots of stuff on scars and the summary is: usually if you can make it to 6 months, your scar won't change. Note that I said "usually", not always. People are unique and there are no guarantees.

I have had an occasional person come in 3 years after a procedure and will have just started having a scar issue. I suspect that stress, or incidental trauma, or something is a "trigger".

In any case, get in to your doc and get checked. It may be treatable with steroids; or it might require a revision; or not.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I've had 3 surgeries and the feeling in the donor area was usually back to normal after 3 months.

My most recent surgery was 3 weeks ago and I don't have the itching problem.

Does the itching occur all the time? Maybe it's related to something else in your daily routine.

My old scar would get irritated if I work out too hard so that's why I mention something else in your daily routine causing the itching.

2 years is a long time to deal with that problem so checking with your doctor is probably best.

Stress screws up your body's ability to heal normally, making you more likely to get a wide variety of things, and making healing less ideal. While that may sound like I ought to be watching "the view" rather than operating, I am telling you that stress is a big problem in postop healing issues.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

funny you should mention that. I am 19 months post 1st procedure and 10 months post 2nd. My scar has always itched to some degree (I assumed it was due to being dry/tight etc) However, recently it has started having eruptions all along both scars-characterized by intense itching, hot inflammed nodules that feel like there is something under the skin (ie undissolved stitches) trying to come through. I am starting to get a little concerned myself.