I am scheduled for HT on 10/17 and perhaps my biggest concern is shock loss. ( I feel that the surgeon I have selected is quite capable of achieving impressive work.)

On all of my consults with well respected doctors, each told me that their patients did not suffer much shock loss.Many of the posters here have undergone procedyres with these doctors and have lamented somewhat about shockloss.So, I am confused about who is the most correct.

I wonder, would it be possible to post some theories ( unproven is OK )about what you believe a patient might do 1-2 months pre-op to reduce the liklihood of shock loss?

Also,if you did or did not suffer shock,...

What was the amount of swelling that youexperience post op? Could that be a factor in degree of shock?

Did you ice and sleep upright? For How long?

What was your rehab routine for first 2 weeks?

I am scheduled for HT on 10/17 and perhaps my biggest concern is shock loss. ( I feel that the surgeon I have selected is quite capable of achieving impressive work.)

On all of my consults with well respected doctors, each told me that their patients did not suffer much shock loss.Many of the posters here have undergone procedyres with these doctors and have lamented somewhat about shockloss.So, I am confused about who is the most correct.

I wonder, would it be possible to post some theories ( unproven is OK )about what you believe a patient might do 1-2 months pre-op to reduce the liklihood of shock loss?

Also,if you did or did not suffer shock,...

What was the amount of swelling that youexperience post op? Could that be a factor in degree of shock?

Did you ice and sleep upright? For How long?

What was your rehab routine for first 2 weeks?

You're on preventative medicine already? Have you already stopped your hair loss from progressing, with Propecia? If not, you should probably get on it, like 2 years ago already. Some guys like Minoxidil too, I think you should only add it if necessary. Minoxidil's kind of a hassle and you have to be willing to do it pretty much indefinitely. So I don't always rush to suggest it, like I do with Propecia (some guys don't want to use Propecia, it's okay. No skin off my nose). Propecia is the easiest, and also the most effective treatment.

Think about cutting your hair in the recipient area. If your surgeon asks you if it's okay, say yes. If you already know that he doesn't care one way or the other, hmmm. Bottom line, talk this part over with the doc. Some docs think that moving your long hair around during graft placement slows things down, but it also may put some unneeded stress on those hairs too. Ask about that one, if you don't already know how your clinic likes to do it.

Those are two things that immediately spring to mind.

I don't know if swelling is a factor (?) It may be, I don't know. Shock loss is kind of a wild card with a lot of unknowns.

If you have already stopped your hair loss with Propecia or Avodart, then that is probably the #1 step you can take.

Another thing that probably helps: don't smoke.

Thanks Arfy, I really look forward to your posts as I kow that you are very knowledgeable with straight answers.

I am on propecia. I began taking it just shy of 2 months ago.At the time of my surgery I will have been on it for 4 months. I hope that is enough to make a difference.

I do not smoke or drink and will cut back my hair but not to the extent that some surgeons might prefer.

Thinkingaboutit -

I am in the same boat.. I have my 2nd procedure in November. I am adding more density in already good coverage area. I have consulted with some of top docs, and all of them said that they have not seen much of shock loss in any of their patients, even the ones who already had good coverage, which might be misleading?? I don't know..

I have been told by some docs that use of Minox (Rogaine) may minimize the sock loss. I plan on using it for 2 months prior and 4 months after the surgery as suggested by the doc (even though I hate using it).

Anybody here used Minox before and after the surgery? How many days before the surgery did u stop using it, and how many days after the surgery did you resume using Minox?

KG

kg007, I thought your Dr. advised you not to because of potential shock etc.Are you looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear?I saw your pics and agree with what she told you.Remember you started with your crown,your young and hairloss is progressive.Your going to need your donor for a rainy day when it comes and it will.Do the math.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Shock loss will happen. My hair was thin, and almost non-existant on top a month after the procedure. I cut the surrounding hair short, and continued the Minoxidil regimen until the 6 month time when the new hair and lost hair came back.

Regarding swelling and ice... Yes, my forehead was a little puffy the next day, but not noticible to anyone but me. I used a little ice, but mostly used the time to rent a car and take a mini-vacation (I did my procedure at Shapiro medical group in Minneapolis and drove into Canada.)

The doctor in the San Francisco bay area who removed the skin staples from the donor site didn't know what kind of procedure I'd had. No clue, and he was looking down on the top of my head where the new hair was inserted.

Hair stylist noticed the red donor scar at first, but that faded away. ( I have light brown/blonde fine hair and still need to keep some length (1/4") to hide it.) When I cut it too short, and sweat from running or heavy excercise I see the line in intense light.

I never needed the Vicodin for post-op pain. Pain was virtually non-existant. During the procedure all you feel is a tugging, and "hear" a very slight tearing sound (not audible, just vibration in your skull bones) when the donor strip is pulled out. It is less painful than a trip to the dentist by far.

I'm 2 years post-procedure, and yes I need more density, on top, and in the back but, I've got adaquate coverage in the frontal area. ( I had 2200+ f/u grafts from front, to top middle and spent about $8900. Grafts were 4.50 each then, and price is dropping.)

I'm suspicious of Minoxidil because I had swelling in the legs, and puffy face during the time I was using it. Also it seemed like my libido was decreased, and at 52 years, I don't like that. But, I don't want to spread paranoia. I did not visit my physician to see if the symptoms were related... (but they did go away after I quit the Minoxidil).

Pharmacological methods I try to keep to a minimum. Don't know what side effects they will bring.

Do the procedure. It is way way worth it. If I had tons of money to throw at the problem I'd do another 2500 in the back immediately, and another 2500 in the front again next year. (I've got lots of donor hair, and hair loss is way up on top and in the front)

The cool thing is that this procedure is now so refined that no one knows you did it, and you never worry about the hair that is newly replaced again... Think of it. I won't lose the hair in front of my head again. I'll always have at worst... "thinning hair."

And its better than that, because when you are losing hair, it attenuates ( gets finer) before it dissappears altogether. This new hair won't get finer, so it has better coverage than the same thinning hair had years ago. Also my doctor was thoughtful enough that if my hair progressively gets thinner... there won't be ugly margins around the hair that was moved.. you know, bald in one spot, and then grafted tufts away from it. It is worth it to find someone who has an artistic eye.

Go for it buddy!!

Mahair -

Thanks for your concern. I am still going with Dr. Keene for my 2nd procedure. Yes it's true that she has advised me to be cautious about what I want to achieve from 2nd procedure... She has asked me to send her more close up pix of front 1/3 to see what she thinks. We have not decided if we're going to add any grafts in the front 1/3, but I am definitely getting the hairline balanced. I have another consultation with Dr. Keene later this week after I send her more pictures. I am going to go with whatever Dr. Keene recommends.

I have also consulted with some other respected docs recommended on this website (I don't know if I should mention their names, but they're top docs who really take time to adise their patients). All of them feel comfident working in front 1/3 as I have lot of thinning behind the hair line.

It's true that it's easy to give in when you hear what you want to hear from the doctors. But ultimately it's going to be Dr. Keene's call as I have faith in her decision. I did express my desire to add grafts on top/mid crown, but Dr. Keene advised me agaist it, so I am not touching this area.

Look at the pictures again. Specially the very last one where my hair is spiked (but still dry), it gives you pretty good idea of the thinning in the front 1/3.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...6060861/m/5771097251

Thanks,

KG

Looked at your pics.. The work done thus far looks good. You're on the right track. Take your drs. advice and let her call the shots.

Cosmetically we get an idea of what we have to have. But the doc sees all the phoney comb-overs, the couvre' cosmetics, and all the stuff, and knows how to give you a mature, yet cosmetically appealing final result.

Stick with a Hair forum doctor and you should be pretty safe. I'm a Ron Shapiro fan, because I spent nearly 20 years getting consults before I decided to do anything. I'm glad I waited because I saw lots of lousey work, even in drs. offices on their consultants heads..

But wait no more, state of the art is here just in time for you to reap the rewards. Cost is dropping, and there are more good artistic physicians doing the work too. Yeah its a fat cash cow, but let's pay them for being top-notch in their college science classes. Its the American way.