Best shampoo to use with Proscar

I've decided to delay my initial HT for a while, but have started using Proscar now. What shampoo will work best with it? I have read about Vive for Men, Progaine, and Nioxin. Is there really a "best" among these?

I guess I'm looking for cosmetic appeal, but don't want to dry my hair out too much. Maybe I should use a conditioner too (I haven't used one regularly for several years... they seem to make my hair look even thinner).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Why are you delaying your initial HT?

Personally, I don't believe that a certain shampoo will work any better than another while using Proscar. I use the cheapest shampoo and conditioner I can get (Suave or VO5). I also use a cheap generic dandruff shampoo (with the exact same ingredients as Head & Shoulders) a couple of times per week. I've found that using a conditioner actually makes my hair seem fuller. I also use L'Oreal Studio Styling Gel for even more body. Just place a dab about the size of a dime in your hand, rub your hands together, and then run them through your hair.

The only time that I would suggest a certain shampoo or conditioner is after you get your HT. Then you should use a shampoo and conditioner containing copper peptide for at least two weeks to a month afterwards. This micronutrient has been proven to control the crusting and enhance the healing of the recipient and donor sites. I've used the GraftCyte brand for both of my HT's and have had very good results!

Just my opinion!

There really isn't a "best" shampoo to use for hair loss, but I have tried all that you have mentioned. I currently use Nioxin and have been for around 5 years. I can't vouch for it helping to maintain hair count but I have always liked how it made my hair feel and has always made it look a little thicker.

Recently, I ordered some Alpecin shampoo and after shower lotion. I have to say that I really like this stuff, though I can't comment on any positive effects it has had so far, either, since I have only been using it for about two weeks. The after shower lotion is particularly great in my opinion because it leaves the scalp feeling open and hydrated. I'll keep everyone up to date with how it works out.

Progaine is made by the manufacturers of Rogaine. It wasn't bad, but I found that it wasn't anything special, either. Vive for men, for the cost, was a good thickener but I felt that it left a little residue in my hair.

For cosmetic appeal, if you are on a budget go with the Vive. If you're lookign for cosmetic appeal plus a great shampoo and conditioner, I recommend the Nioxin Actives, but just the shampoo and conditioner. The rest of the added stuff isn't really worth the money, in my opinion.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

I think Nizoral & a selenium based shampoo like Head & Shoulders is a good shampoo combo to use. The Nizoral does dry your hair & scalp, but instead of a conditioner, try using Emu oil. It will do wonders for your scalp & hair. Much better than any conditioner.

6544 grafts - Dr Hasson 11/30/05

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Qwert:

I think Nizoral & a selenium based shampoo like Head & Shoulders is a good shampoo combo to use. The Nizoral does dry your hair & scalp, but instead of a conditioner, try using Emu oil. It will do wonders for your scalp & hair. Much better than any conditioner.

Do you use the emu oil daily, Qwert? Do you use it just like regular conditioner, for example, apply it and then rinse it out or do you apply it at night before bed? I have heard testimonial that emu oil will help scalp condition and i have looked into it, but the benefits never looked to me as though it were worth the mess. I'd like to get your input on it. If you could, post about it in a thread I started here. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I get the best results (shine, volume) with the shampoos designed for babies... you know these yellow liquid things. They are very soft as well.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day