Dr. Bernstein...

I noticed a full page pic of him in the Delta Skymiles magazine Wednesday as part of the top doctors in New York.

Hard to believe I've done so much research on this that I can readily recognize many doctors picture in a magazine on a plane.....

On another note, I read in the same mag where the largest kangaroo habitat in the U.S. is right here about an hour from my home in North Georgia. Gotta go to New York to get that info....

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I noticed a full page pic of him in the Delta Skymiles magazine Wednesday as part of the top doctors in New York.

Hard to believe I've done so much research on this that I can readily recognize many doctors picture in a magazine on a plane.....

On another note, I read in the same mag where the largest kangaroo habitat in the U.S. is right here about an hour from my home in North Georgia. Gotta go to New York to get that info....

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

I saw the same photo in the Delta mag. Dr. Bernstein is repeatedly named as the top hair transplant doc in NYC in New Yorker (or is it New York?) magazine. I'm always surprised that his name doesn't come up in these posts more often (vs. Feller, True, etc.). I had a consult with him almost 2 years ago and was very impressed. Still too chicken to do anything though...

Hi Joey G and Dewayne: First, and foremost, NO ONE is more chicken than me, and, with that in mind, I am in the process of repairing a 1991-2 hair transplant with Dr. "B". I can tell you from experience, this is one of the finest doctors I have ever met. (Despite that I am needle-phobic, faint at the sight of blood and a big chicken, I come from a family with lots of medical pro's from neurosurgeons to psychiatrists, so I understand the field).

As for my experience, after consulting numerous qualified surgeons from reading almost every entry on this blog for the year prior to my first repair surgery (10/16/07), I chose Dr. "B" for his repair and quality reputation, along with his indisputable knowledge and devotion to his field. Additionally, I flew to LA for consults and saw a few other doctors here, which I narrowed to the short list. Good choice by me. I required 3 consultations prior to scheduling anything (poor guy, I feel badly for him) and Dr. "B" told me what to expect in very realistic terms. Now, after 3 repair sessions, although I ordinarily desire immediacy, I can see the benefits of his "master plan" with my head. In fact, my friends and family (who I have shared this with), along with the person I live with, all tell me that even if I did nothing else that this is a major improvement. For more details, and the step by step approach that I am and plan to undertake, I am happy to respond to any PM that I receive, because I so understand what anyone with choices is going through.

I've come to the conclusion that no one can reverse the hands of time (sadly), however, Dr. "B" is reversing the poor transplant that I had from the early 90's, and doing a great job!

Moreover, please be advised that I am not in any way affiliated with Dr. "B" and/or his practice other than being a satisfied present patient. Prior to my initial consultation I had never met him. I encourage everyone seeking quality hair restoration to meet and read, read, read. Asking lots of questions and reaching out to as many willing "witnesses" for their experience is also undeniably useful. With the revolutionary internet and being able to communicate with guys who understand, first hand, what this is all about, makes finding a qualified Dr. much easier than before. Once you find the perfect match, the technology today makes the Dr. able to do better work.

So, to summarize the lengthy foregoing, after reading your post which highlighted that Dr. "B" is a New York Magazine "Top 100 Doctors", repeatedly, I'm not in the least surprised.

That's awesome.

Actually, I'm not so sure it was "Top 100", as they listed only about six doctors. Maybe it was more like "Top 10".

Anyway, it's great to see a hair transplant doctor making those types of lists as the industry is still littered with incompetent dr.'s as well as unethical ones.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

I can agree that Dr. Bernstein is very elusive on this web community, but he was my doctor just this past February.

I had my first HT with Dr. B and I can understand his conservative approach to harvesting hair from the donor region is about gradual change and conserving supplies to efficiently respond to future hairloss.

And he is active within the scholarly community through his association with Columbia.

I have considered a different doctor for a second HT if I ever really went there, but I can only know the quality of what I have now. If he is the top surgeon in NYC, then I'd be curious to compare my scar with that of other patients.

Certainly this is just some vanity I would indulge in, so more seriously I would volunteer that Dr. Bernstein's clinic was very friendly and supportive through the process of that first month post-op. They have called me last month to just check in with me. I look forward to a great post-op experience with this Dr.

Originally posted by Really?:

agentH, are you saying you are unhappy with your scar? If so, why?

Hopefully, he's like me and is just in the doldrums right now.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

R? + D:

No, I am not unhappy. I am also not ecstatic. It is the doldrums stage!!

I think I am in a holding pattern waiting to take off, and it is the impatience that is difficult.

Sometimes I think about the fact that only 2134 grafts were transplanted and I would have liked much more, but I trusted Dr.B's opinion about gradual changes, and also his information about my own donor density.

I say I would like to compare scars with other patients, meaning I would like to see what a trych scar looks like after a year or two, and with the hair buzzed short to about a 0" or 1/8" .

aH

ccex- thanks for your reply. To clarify, when I say I'm chicken, I'm not talking about the surgery itself. I'm not afraid of the procedure.

I'm afraid that 1) the results will be disappointing. 2) the scar will be noticeable if I keep my hair short (as I like to do), 3) the recovery time will be long and I won't be able to "hide" the procedure from coworkers, neighbors, etc. I'm not someone who would be comfortable publicly proclaiming his HT to the broader world.

FYI- I'm a NW 6 (ugh...). Although Dr. B. thought I'd have pretty good results with about 2,800 grafts.

JoeyG: I'm on board with your thoughts...as for my logic, 1) the results have to be better than what I had (1990's plugs-not a good look under a light bulb), 2) I already had scars, never seemed to be noticed or a point of discussion, and 3) recovery is and will be brutal...hard to hide, BUT, at the end of a period of time (i dont know how long), this will pass and you can enjoy a more natural look forever...worth it to me. I have been wearing a hat, and, I've avoided many social functions that I would ordinarily attend (we live in NYC, lots going on) Because of that, I've been kinda blue, BUT, my hair is looking much better!! Its a trade off, glad I did (and will continue doing) it.

ccex- how long is the recovery period realistically? Meaning- how many days/weeks post-op before you can walk around without a hat and no one would notice a thing? I don't have a job where I can where a hat at work...

JoeyG: Is your anticipated transplant a repair or a "fresh head"? I think that makes a difference, since it is a different procedure. I can only tell you my experience from a repair standpoint. I can tell you that the shaving of the recipient area was startling, after 10-12 days I had everything cut to match it looked much better. The Dr. (any qualified Dr.) can give you a much more concise answer. Repairs are brutal, takes so long...

• 2 weeks later...