How easily can a HT be spotted?

Originally posted by hairscout:

Just to add to this thread, is jet black hair significantly more detectable than fair hair due to the contrast between root & scalp when it comes to HT results?

Absolutely. Especially provides contrast if pale complected. If that is the case then dying the hair blonde or hoping for gray hair is the best defense.

And texture and style matters. Curlier hair is better at concealment, so that can lessen any contrast as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if you notice that a person's had a transplant these days. Even if the doctor in question was to implant one single hair, it would'nt look like a "transplanted" hair. Just a stupid little hair growing on it's own, if you know what I mean?

So if you're balding, your choice is to look totally bald or, in the worse case scenario (with a top doctor, of course) 'partially' bald, if you don't get the full coverage.

I'd choose partially over fully any day.

Naturally, if you choose strip, you'll have the scar etc which I've heard (and seen) makes buzz cutting not as attractive, but as the other guys have said, you can cover the scar later on with FUE.

(Just my humble totally biased opinion)

Hooray for Hair

My Hair transplant blog: www.hoorayforhair.com

"If you are worried about buzzing your head than why bother with a HT? Maybe you should buzz first and even see if you want one?"

Goood point. I did buzz and I liked it.

Would like it a lot more though if I had more hair. Buzz cuts always looks better when you have a shadow of a hairline to frame your face. This is often overlooked. Look at the guy in prison break for example. he would certainly not look as good if he was balding. Buzz or no Buzz, hair is just as vital to your appearance.

There is no way someone could spot my HT .. I never shaved my head either for any of the three.

I think it also depends on how you style your hair, your hair type, and what Norwodd you were..

This is assuming you go to a top Doctor

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I also believe its kind of humorous what you think others can spot as well. If someone already has prior knowledge of a transplanted persons hair they will spot it and perhaps others, the average person on the street would NEVER spot todays work done by reputable surgeons like the ones found on this forum.

Even my HT from the mid 90's was easily spotted by someone with any knowledge of this kind of work and many people never noticed it. As far as it being "spotted", the giveaway is what looks natural. Thankfully in my case I went with a receding hairline HT when I started this as I only wanted what I once had. So filling it in now looks natural for my age (but in actually, the start of these more invasive HT sessions of long ago caused most of it everywhere to fall out permanently, or certainly advanced it rapidly, as I would soon come to regret)

But, with a receding look to your HT, I'm soon to be just another guy losing his hair but with some in the front left (that its not gonna fall out is my secret)

What would a low hairline look like on me today? Like crap. So its often more getting the right style and then your hair type is key as well.

Unlike myself, some people just have the perfect type to "re-plant" and no one can ever tell..... icon_wink.gif

I had both the plug grafts and follicular unit transplants, and I can tell you there is a significant difference between what is seen and what isn't.

I had a number of procedures using the former method, primarily to hide each previous surgery. Maybe I was just sensitive, but I always felt people were looking at my hairline and thinking, "he had a hair transplant."

Luckily, I had enough donor hair to get a total of 2800 FUT over the past 15 months. I can honestly say that, while I notice a marked degree of fullness, I can't tell the native hairs from the transplanted. If I can't, I doubt anyone else can.

Do what others on this site have suggested: do your research, talk to a recommended surgeon, and proceed with confidence.

bb